Interesting Play

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Interesting Play

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:20 am

Another interesting play from the game I just played (and yes this is an actual hand that I just played).

I'm the dealer holding this:

(Card_J-S) (Card_A-S) (Card_K-S) (Card_Q-S) (Card_J-C)

Upcard is (Card_9-D) . Score is 0-0.

Everybody passes first round. Second round, the first two seats pass. You're in third with this:

(Card_9-C) (Card_10-C) (Card_10-S) (Card_9-H) (Card_10-H)

What would you do? It's pretty obvious that if you pass then I'm going to call spades and get a really easy 4 point loner. But assume you don't know my hand? Assume above average players in every position. What would be the thought process going through your head?

BTW, in this particular game, the third seat crossed the river and called clubs, which screwed my loner. He actually managed to make the point too!

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:23 am

I'm pretending I don't know your holdings. I'm assuming above average here means they play well? So going with that assumption. I'm figuring my 1st seat partners has some blockers. I have no reason to call here. A. I'm not calling to block in this situation. B. My partner should have most hands covered. It's 0-0 or it's "early" as I like to say. So I am just going to pass here.

Tbolt65
Edward

patiencepays

Unread post by patiencepays » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:41 pm

I'd pass.

But I do wish though that I wasn't faced with the stress of pretending. My reply to pass just doesn't seem to me to feel like it was made with a "game speed" decision because of TMI.
I would have preferred to not know the dealers holding in the senario, only the info that would actually be known to me.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:35 pm

That's a terrible call, he just got lucky.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 pm

It's 2nd seat who bungled this one!

~Irishwolf

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:53 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 pm

~Irishwolf
That's a good point. Statistically, if your partner turns down a red card as the dealer, then he probably has something really strong in black.

So either second seat had total trash (pretty unlikely based on what third seat had, and I honestly don't remember what my partner actually had in this game) or he's passing based on the hopes that I've got something strong enough to go alone in reverse next and is also betting that third seat will pass. In this case I've got the strong reverse next loner, but third seat figured that calling anything is worse than finding out. He was correct.

How many players in third seat would really make that call though?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am

RedDuke wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:53 pm
irishwolf wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 pm

~Irishwolf
That's a good point. Statistically, if your partner turns down a red card as the dealer, then he probably has something really strong in black.

So either second seat had total trash (pretty unlikely based on what third seat had, and I honestly don't remember what my partner actually had in this game) or he's passing based on the hopes that I've got something strong enough to go alone in reverse next and is also betting that third seat will pass. In this case I've got the strong reverse next loner, but third seat figured that calling anything is worse than finding out. He was correct.

Wes would depending on his 1st seat partner and at that score.

Tbolt65
Edward

P.s. I'm still passing.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Tbolt65 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 am
RedDuke wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:53 pm

Wes would depending on his 1st seat partner and at that score.

Tbolt65
Edward

P.s. I'm still passing.
There is a time when you gotta make that type of call. For example, your team is up 9-6 and your partner, who is not a skilled player, and seat 2 pass in the 2nd rd. Now you gotta force a call just in case Seat 4 has a game winning loner. Of course with the OP's hand + a non-skilled partner, you would make this donate from 3rd in the first rd up 9-6, so imagine a hand that blocks the upcard in the first but doesn't have much in the 2nd rd.

In the actual hand I'm in agreement with jspectre:
jspectre wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:35 pm
That's a terrible call, he just got lucky.