Wow. Bad Luck.

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Wow. Bad Luck.

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:15 am

This literally just happened 5 minutes ago.

I'm in first seat holding:

(Card_K-C) (Card_Q-C) (Card_10-C) (Card_A-H) (Card_K-H)

Upcard is (Card_9-C) .

Score is 8-6 against us.

I order the dealer to pick up and lead the (Card_K-C) hoping to draw out the two bowers. Both second seat and my partner throw off red 9s and tens. Dealer takes the trick with the (Card_A-C) . He then promptly leads both bowers to euchre us and win the game.

Was I wrong to order here? Obviously there, was nothing to be done to stop that. Dealer would have picked up and swept us anyway. But what ordinarily be best play in this hand? How would you have played it?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:39 am

Think of it in these terms. At 8-6, "if" you go set you lose immediately. The prospect of getting euchre does hold value in this particular situation. So you have to gage which way you want to play and how will you act if you pass, order up or if it gets back to you. This can be considered one of the grey areas where you "could" play it both ways. Personally for me I am passing to euchre here in this spot at this score.

Oh and btw there are many situations they you still get euchred in besides this hand. It is unfortunate that they had the four other trump.

Tbolt65
Edward

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:31 pm

Down 8-6 I would go alone here, so I definitely can't blame you for calling.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:44 pm

RedDuke wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:15 am
Was I wrong to order here?
No way. Gotta order this. 3 trump + an off ace with no where to go in the 2nd round = order everytime (except when the dealer has a Jack up). With no reads I would order this at every score. I would consider passing and playing for a euchre if I had good evidence that my opponents were too aggressive. Other than that, with no reads, the only score where I'm very tempted to pass and hope to euchre would be down 9-8.