A question on reneging.

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
pcather

A question on reneging.

Unread post by pcather » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 am

In a friendly, non-competitive evening of euchre, how much grace do you give for reneging?

I’m thinking that if a person lays down a card and then realizes they’re not following suit, AND the next person has not played their hand, it would be OK for them to pick up their card and play the correct one? Honestly I’m not even sure if this is OK in a tournament or not.

Just want your thoughts.

Thanks 😊

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:58 pm

pcather wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 am
In a friendly, non-competitive evening of euchre, how much grace do you give for reneging?

I’m thinking that if a person lays down a card and then realizes they’re not following suit, AND the next person has not played their hand, it would be OK for them to pick up their card and play the correct one? Honestly I’m not even sure if this is OK in a tournament or not.

Just want your thoughts.

Thanks 😊
I handle that situation the same as you pcather. When I play euchre I just want everyone to have a fun time. Following rules too strictly is an easy way to piss people off and change moods for the worse. It's just a game and besides that, I don't wanna win cuz of some technicality. I'd rather win straight up. And ideally one should try to disconnect their pleasure from winning altogether. Take pleasure in playing every hand correctly regardless of wins or losses. Even in a tournament where the rules are stricter I still let that person "pick up their card and play the correct one".

pcather

Unread post by pcather » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Thanks

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:48 pm

A player has the right to correct their misplayed card before a trick is quitted, turned for the next lead. It is not a Renege if the next player plays to the trick or not if the player corrects his misplayed card. Then the misplayed cards becomes a "faced card" (laid face up) and played as it can.

But a true Renege, caught after the next trick is played to is a Penalty of two points. Those are the rules are the rules going back 160 years. It amazes me how players do not know the rules. I can cite the books on the rules if need be.

However, check your local rules or house rules as these may differ.

Irishwolr

pcather

Unread post by pcather » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Wow. That’s a great answer. Thanks for the clarification.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:31 am

This from Dwight & Leeds which first published in 1888 but also is cited as current rules in some of the modern Hoyle books on euchre:

64. A revoke is established if the trick in which it occurs be turned and quitted; or if the revoking player or his partner, whether in his right turn or otherwise, lead or play to the following trick.
65. A player may ask his partner whether he has not a card of the suit renounced. Should the question be asked before the trick be turned and quitted, subsequent turning and quitting does not establish the revoke, and the error may be corrected, unless the question be answered in the negative, or unless the revoking player or his partner have led or played to the following trick.
69. If a player discover his mistake in time to save a revoke, the adversaries may call the card played in error. Any player or players who have played after him, except his partner, may withdraw their cards and substitute others; the cards so withdrawn are not liable to be called.