When the outcome is known after the first card is played

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
MeeKer

When the outcome is known after the first card is played

Unread post by MeeKer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:27 pm

You're on defense, you take the first trick and you still have both bowers.
It seems like a waste of time to continue playing the hand when the outcome is a guaranteed euchre, whether it's 3, 4 or 5 tricks.

Similar situation when you name trump and you lose the first trick but you still have both bowers and the trump ace. Again, only one possible outcome.
In this case, I think that it's quite common to put down the winning cards, end the hand, and take the point.

What's the generally accepted way of playing these hands?

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:39 am

I prefer that you just put your cards down and be done with it.

I wish online games would handle this the same way, including when the bidding team is up 3-1. It doesn't matter whether the final score if 4-1 or 3-2. It's still 1 pt.

patiencepays

Unread post by patiencepays » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:57 pm

It's never a waste of time to play out the cards orderly each hand since doing so offers all players, good and bad, an opportunity to learn.

MeeKer

Unread post by MeeKer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:51 pm

@patiencepays, I agree that it's a good idea to play out the cards.

Here's an example of somebody who disagrees:
One of the guys that I play with (usually as my partner) will put down both bowers for the second and third tricks but the outcome can still be 1 or 2 points. The other three players have to figure which two cards to play, taking into account the two possible outcomes, which actually slows down the game instead of speeding it up. We've let him know that it's not nice.

I think, though, that it's a bit different when everyone immediately realizes that there's only one outcome.

What do players do in euchre tournaments?

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:55 pm

patiencepays wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:57 pm
It's never a waste of time to play out the cards orderly each hand since doing so offers all players, good and bad, an opportunity to learn.
I guess it's a matter of opinion. I can play euchre all night long if I really want to so no shortage of opportunities to learn.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:08 am

What do players do in euchre tournaments?
They play out every trick regardless.

MeeKer

Unread post by MeeKer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks, RedDuke.
Good to know.