Leading Trump On Defense 1st Truck

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
jblowery

Leading Trump On Defense 1st Truck

Unread post by jblowery » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:16 pm

Sorry. Meant 1st Trick not 1st Truck.

Wondering when people do this. It seems like a more effective strategy when Seat 2 orders up the dealer because they often try to lead junk and hope the other one can play trump on it. Also, if Seat 2 orders then they both probably have at least 2 trump. If I have at least one then there is a good chance my partner doesn't have any at all. I know you would typically do it if you have two off-suite aces. Does anybody do it in any other situations (e.g. you have 1 off-suite ace)?

I know later in the hand there can be other reasons to lead trump (e.g. rght has already been played and you have the left) but I'm talking more about the 1st trick.

I've noticed that it is extremely difficult to get an ace (even if it is a green singleton) through in these situations. Seems like it is better to lead low and then Seat 2 may just let it go. If Seat 3 has the Ace then the dealer may also have that suit because his/her partner was void.

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Seems like another one may be if you have a couple or few trump yourself. Then your partner is more unlikely to have any.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:40 pm

I'll do it if I have a couple trump and an offsuit ace or two. Like if I've got three moderately high trump (left, king, queen, for example) then I'll lead the king. The hope is that I can pull the right and hopefully the ace, leaving me with the two highest trump and an offsuit ace.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 pm

It's a play to do sparingly in my opinion. It does work. It can allow your team to stop a march or it can set up, a possible Euchre of your opponents. Conversely it can also give your opponents the march as well. Although in my experience, you'll find yourself getting a stopper or a euchre by that lead in "Warranted Situations". More than giving your opponents the march by leading trump. This can be applied in either case of Seat 2 was the maker or the Dealer. Again in "Warranted Situations".

Tbolt65
Edward