Would you have ordered your partner?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Mxx

Would you have ordered your partner?

Unread post by Mxx » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Here's one I experienced today.
We are 8-7 down. I have the deal. I'm holding nothing of nothing. I turn down the (Card_10-D)

First seat passes and my partner calls spades. Which seems reasonable to me, although I'm not going to be much help. The hand plays out and we are euchred for a loss.

My partner was holding (Card_9-D) (Card_J-H) (Card_Q-D) (Card_J-C) (Card_J-S)

My partner appeared to be a decent player with 5 crowns ranking high 90s if you know that Euchre app. I can only assume my partner did not order me up as they thought 2 points was more likely in black and they had next covered.

For me, the more likely scenarios are (a) I'm holding the right and I pick it up anyway, possibly for 2 points or (b) first seat makes a call in next for one point.

If roles were reversed, I think I would have ordered that 10-D holding three myself. The likely result is 8-8 without the deal, but that is better than the possible alternatives.

What do you think?

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:49 pm

Mxx wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:52 pm
We are 8-7 down. I have the deal. I'm holding nothing of nothing. I turn down the (Card_10-D)

First seat passes and my partner calls spades. Which seems reasonable to me, although I'm not going to be much help. The hand plays out and we are euchred for a loss.

My partner appeared to be a decent player with 5 crowns ranking high 90s if you know that Euchre app. I can only assume my partner did not order me up as they thought 2 points was more likely in black and they had next covered.

For me, the more likely scenarios are (a) I'm holding the right and I pick it up anyway, possibly for 2 points or (b) first seat makes a call in next for one point.

If roles were reversed, I think I would have ordered that 10-D holding three myself. The likely result is 8-8 without the deal, but that is better than the possible alternatives.

What do you think?
This is a tough one. You definitely have a lot of help in diamonds if your partner picks up and you correctly assume that your partner probably won't pass on this if he's holding the right.

The usual reason to not order up your partner is because you don't want to stop them going alone and getting 4 points. That's probably not an issue here since you already have three so your partner probably isn't loaded to the teeth on trump. He might have a hand full of aces though and along with the right+1, that might be good for a sweep.

The flip side is this. If your partner passes, then you've got a really good chance to euchre the opponent on a reverse next call. You've also got the next loner stopped (although you don't have 2 tricks in next).

Honestly, at a score of 8-7, I'd probably pass here too. If my partner has the right, then he'll pick up and we've got a decent shot at 2 points here. If your partner passes, then it's pretty likely that he wouldn't have been able to help anyway so at best this would be a one point hand. I'm also willing to bet that the guy in first seat doesn't have much strength in diamonds or he'd have ordered up so odds are he won't have the left on a next call either so he might not try that. You've got a guaranteed trick in next so you know that worst case scenario is that opposition orders hearts and you keep them down to only one point.

If opposition orders reverse next then you've got a good shot at euchring them and getting two points. Or if your partner ends up getting stuck with the hand, you've got at least a guaranteed trick in whatever they call.

I'd pass here.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Mxx wrote:

What do you think?
If I was in Seat 2, I would have ordered your (Card_10-D) .
Using my BPS (Bidding Point System, see post), I evaluate the hand:
0.50 Seat 2
0.25 9d
0.75 Jh
0.50 Qd
0.25 1 Void
0.50 3 trump
2.75 points, 2.0 points testing at 65% success, 2.75 pts 72%. I am inclined to order (help).
I also have 3 jacks, so I look further. In Reverse Next, I own 2 tricks. In Next, the greater concern, I own 1 trick. I'm short of an euchre hand. So I analyze my Round 2 hand:
0.50 Seat 2
0.50 Round 2 Reverse Next
1.00 Right
0.75 Left
0.25 1 Void
3.00 points marginally better than my Round 1 Order, but obviously I only own 2 tricks. And my Bowers are likely to wipe out the value of Partner's trump and wipe out the value of Reverse Next. So deduct 0.50 for a value of 2.50 points, less than Round 1. So order from Seat 2 in Round 1.
I realize that I look like I'm manipulating the BPS. But BPS is best at analyzing "normal" hands, the 80% of the hands with normal card distribution. Having both black bowers is not in the 80% realm. Using my simplified statistics, your odds of having both bowers is:
5x4/24=20/24, and adding the 2nd bower is
4x1x1/23= 4/23
20/24x4/23= 80/1852= 14.5%, so 85.5% of the time you will NOT have 2 Bowers
What do you want to take away from my post?
1. If you use the BPS at the Basic Level, Order in this scenario, you have 2.75 points vs. 2.0 points for an edge hand.
2. You can continue to improve your game, look at Round 2, take it to the next level, understand that quantitative analysis is not as accurate as detailed analysis, in this case continue to analyze, in this case, 2 Bowers is still limited to taking 2 tricks, you have a microscopic opportunity at a 3rd trick, you have an 80% chance of your partner taking the 3rd trick. You are better off keeping it simple and ordering the first hand that gives you a 65% opportunity to earn at least 1 point.
3. Err on the side of aggressiveness. It's a game of chance. Take a chance.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:42 am

3.00 points marginally better than my Round 1 Order, but obviously I only own 2 tricks.
That's the thing... you're going to have to depend on your partner either way here. Here's the thing though... you only have 1 guaranteed trick if you order. Yes, three trump including the left will usually take two tricks but I've also been set quite often with hands stronger than this one (you're three-suited so your chances to trump are more limited than you might think), especially since you are in second seat so third seat still has a chance to overtrump you. Actually, if third seat has the right and a black ace then you could be in trouble here. That's mathematically just as likely if your partner having it. If you were the dealer holding this, I agree that it's a must call (and I'd probably go alone).

By calling here, you're realistically depending on your partner having a void in the lead suit (and third seat doesn't thus allowing them to trump with the 9) and a side ace or your partner having the right and ideally a side ace.

This is why I'd let your partner make the call about whether or not to pick up here. You can help in any suit no matter what happens. Remember... if you get set here then you lose at a score of 8-7.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:59 am

Mxx wrote:

My speculation is that he reflexively passed becuz he had everything blocked and an easy reverse next call in the 2nd round. I don't view this pass as a terrible pass, but I still don't like it. I'm calling diamonds in the first round with my team having 4 out of the 7 trump accounted for and a guaranteed void. I would only consider passing 3 trump from the 2 spot if I had a euchre hand. This hand is a premium stopper hand but not a euchre hand as we only have 1 trick in next.
Mxx wrote:
I would say 90s to 100 players are very good at playing their 5 cards. They play them better than say 40/50 players. But beyond that they are nothing special. The truly great players don't just play their 5 cards, and they don't just play the 10 cards of their team, they play 20 cards, I.E. they play the entire table. Those players are rare. Maybe 10 out of 10K play at that level which is kind've sad becuz it doesn't really take some special talent to get to that level. All one has to do is study this site, read all the articles/lessons, and read this forum and they're well on their way to "playing the table".
Mxx wrote:

What do you think?
I wouldn't focus on results, your partner did make a suboptimal play imo, but what really sunk your guys' ship was more bad luck than bad play. Calling reverse next with both black bowers and going set was a pretty harsh beat.

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:29 pm

I always order up from 2nd if I already hold 3 of that suite. Maybe not in this case though. If I were your partner I could have potentially just let it go around and go with whatever was called. He had everything blocked, a great chance at a euchre (with 2 of the 3 other suites) and could help you get whatever you were strongest in (if it got back to you). This is a tough one for me. More risk with letting it go but more potential reward also. I'm thinking I'd probably let it go.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 am

jblowery wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:29 pm
I always order up from 2nd if I already hold 3 of that suite. Maybe not in this case though. If I were your partner I could have potentially just let it go around and go with whatever was called. He had everything blocked, a great chance at a euchre (with 2 of the 3 other suites) and could help you get whatever you were strongest in (if it got back to you). This is a tough one for me. More risk with letting it go but more potential reward also. I'm thinking I'd probably let it go.
That's what I was thinking too. Frankly, this hand isn't good for two tricks in red as it stands. Yes, if your partner has the right then it's definitely a point maker. In that case though, a skilled partner would never pass so it's easiest just to let him decide whether to pick up or not. You are in a decent position to euchre the maker if third seat is drunk enough to order up, btw.

Basically, you're going to be really depending on your partner to be able to take two tricks if diamonds is trump. If they've got a hand that's able to do that then great, I'd just let him name trump and help.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:52 pm

RedDuke wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 am

That's what I was thinking too. Frankly, this hand isn't good for two tricks in red as it stands..

Basically, you're going to be really depending on your partner to be able to take two tricks if diamonds is trump. If they've got a hand that's able to do that then great, I'd just let him name trump and help.
I estimate that Seat 2’s 3 diamonds and a void have a 90% chance of earning 2 tricks. I sense that you are not accounting for the power of having 3 trump and the void. Being able to trump the void and/or draw trump because you have 3 trumps adds significantly to the value of this hand. (Wes points out that your team controls 4 of the 7 trump. That is another strength of this hand). Assigning a value to 3 trump (0.50) and the void i(0.25) Is how I analyze the value of these 2 factors. Wes’ point(knowing your team has a 4th trump) is included in the value of Seat 2 (0.50). I am confident that my quantitative approach (simply assigning a value to each factor) consistently reflects the strengths of a hand.

As for counting on your partner for 1 trick, I rely on a simpler analysis. Counting on your partner for 1 trick is the wisdom of the wise players. I assign it an 80% chance of working. If it didn’t have an 80% chance of working, then it wouldn’t be taught as a key concept from wise players.

So, I see an 80 to 90% chance of getting at least 1 point on this hand, from Seat 2. 65%.is my minimum (winning 2 out of 3 times), point of ordering. Having an 80 to 90% chance is significantly better. And the extra is more than enough to eliminate any temptation to look at my 2 black jacks. So I am ordering the dealer with 3 trumps and a void.

And like Wes, I am not going to second guess my approach if I lose any particular hand. My analysis is that I have an 80 to 90% chance of winning. That also means that I have a 10 to 20% of being euchred. I will lose if the cards break against me. Experience from trying this approach is the only way to test whether the approach is profitable of not. And I have to remember that the goal is to win more often, not to avoid being euchred.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:10 am

Richardb02 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:52 pm
RedDuke wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 am

That's what I was thinking too. Frankly, this hand isn't good for two tricks in red as it stands..

I estimate that Seat 2’s 3 diamonds and a void have a 90% chance of earning 2 tricks. I sense that you are not accounting for the power of having 3 trump and the void. Being able to trump the void and/or draw trump because you have 3 trumps adds significantly to the value of this hand. (Wes points out that your team controls 4 of the 7 trump. That is another strength of this hand). Assigning a value to 3 trump (0.50) and the void i(0.25) Is how I analyze the value of these 2 factors. Wes’ point(knowing your team has a 4th trump) is included in the value of Seat 2 (0.50). I am confident that my quantitative approach (simply assigning a value to each factor) consistently reflects the strengths of a hand.

As for counting on your partner for 1 trick, I rely on a simpler analysis. Counting on your partner for 1 trick is the wisdom of the wise players. I assign it an 80% chance of working. If it didn’t have an 80% chance of working, then it wouldn’t be taught as a key concept from wise players.

So, I see an 80 to 90% chance of getting at least 1 point on this hand, from Seat 2. 65%.is my minimum (winning 2 out of 3 times), point of ordering. Having an 80 to 90% chance is significantly better. And the extra is more than enough to eliminate any temptation to look at my 2 black jacks. So I am ordering the dealer with 3 trumps and a void.

And like Wes, I am not going to second guess my approach if I lose any particular hand. My analysis is that I have an 80 to 90% chance of winning. That also means that I have a 10 to 20% of being euchred. I will lose if the cards break against me. Experience from trying this approach is the only way to test whether the approach is profitable of not. And I have to remember that the goal is to win more often, not to avoid being euchred.
I'm going to argue with you about that 90% number. I don't have the math to prove it, but I've been euchred far too often holding a hand stronger than this to believe that. I'd say that empirically the odds of succeeding are about 70%. Still strong enough to be worth considering but...

The hand is stronger in black. You still have a void and two guaranteed tricks with the bower. If your partner has a strong enough hand to make this good in red, I maintain that he will pick up. You have a good hand to pass because you can be somewhat neutral no matter what trump is.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:07 pm

I am confident, based on previous posts, that both of us agree to disagree.

Let’s continue the conversation. This is a better post than 85 views and a handful of posts.

I agree that this is an “edge hand”, a place that we are going to disagree and post our thinking on the particulars.

I short-cutted and overstated this hand. IMO, I have an 90% chance of taking 2 tricks. I assume an 80% chance of Partner taking 1 trick. Basic probability is 90% x 80%= 72% chance of making at least 1 point. (I try to be extremely careful, especially on OE, but still mess up)!

My BPS gave me a 72% chance of success (See my previous post in this thread). Notice how closely they match! The BPS is nothing more than a numbers based compilation of the wisdom that I have found on OE (Ohio Euchre).So I expect to be euchred more than 1 out of 4 hands. Most people run from 25(28%) failure. I see an euchre and I firstly look at card distribution, and secondly look at how I played the hand. I’m not upset if the “euchre gods” were against me. Isn’t that a Rule of Hoyle, “Do not be upset at the hand that the euchre gods have dealt thee”?

Now let’s address, “the hand is stronger in black.” I even gave you ammunition, by informing you that the BPS rated the Round 1 hand at 2.75 and the Round 2 hand rated at 3.0. You should pass and hope to call in the 2nd round, right? Not so fast. What did we fail to quantify? Are you guaranteed to have the opportunity to call in Rond 2? NO! You have to assign a value if you must have every detail analyzed. You need to subtract 0.25, the minimum, equalizing the value of the Round 1 and Round 2 hands. [Thinking this through, unless I am in Seat 1, with a Next call in Round 2, I would subtract 0.50 from the value of the Round 2 analysis. {Frankly, until this post, I have not thought this through to this point}.] We now have a 2.75: 2.75 stalemate. Always choose the now over the possible in a stalemate. Personally, I realize that my analysis is really a guide and not perfect. So I favor now (Round 1) vs. Round 2. I favor Aggressive vs. Passive. Per OE, Euchre favors the aggressive player.

Contra-negatively, I do not address how I can lose the hand, unless I am in a situation where I can calculate the odds (I use odds and probability interchangeably). So I never address how I can lose the hand in calling. I know I have a possibility of losing. So why bother.

I will look at how to lose the hand, while playing my cards. It happens mostly while calling Alone. First, make sure than I am not euchred, Secondly, play to get 5 points. Wes has also made me think defensively. Playing your cards, play to take a trick and stop Opponents from getting 2 points. Calling, block, unless there is a good reason not to block.

I have more, but it is time for RedDuke, and everyone else to weigh in with their response. I did my best to give everyone something that about which they can disagree!

Mxx

Unread post by Mxx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:07 am

The hand is stronger in black. You still have a void and two guaranteed tricks with the bower. If your partner has a strong enough hand to make this good in red, I maintain that he will pick up. You have a good hand to pass because you can be somewhat neutral no matter what trump is

Statistically if you have three trump in 2nd seat then each of the other players have 1 each. First seat may have <1 because they passed. If your dealer partner doesn't have the right, chances are they will pass (in my view they should pick up if they aren't strong in next but that rarely happens on the app I play).

That leaves first seat with a highly probable next call because you're holding both black bowers.

For these reasons I don't think it's viable to wait for your dealer partner to pick up.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Mxx wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:07 am
The hand is stronger in black. You still have a void and two guaranteed tricks with the bower. If your partner has a strong enough hand to make this good in red, I maintain that he will pick up. You have a good hand to pass because you can be somewhat neutral no matter what trump is

Statistically if you have three trump in 2nd seat then each of the other players have 1 each. First seat may have <1 because they passed. If your dealer partner doesn't have the right, chances are they will pass (in my view they should pick up if they aren't strong in next but that rarely happens on the app I play).

That leaves first seat with a highly probable next call because you're holding both black bowers.

For these reasons I don't think it's viable to wait for your dealer partner to pick up.
If your dealer partner doesn't have the right, then you have a decent chance of being euchred here if you order up. It's actually better to have first seat call next in that case because you're holding the right in the next suit so you can ensure that the enemy will only get one point. If you order up and get euchred then you lose. If the dealer does have the right though and doesn't pick up then he's a bonehead.

You're correct that the worst scenario for you is to pass and then have first seat call next. You will still limit them to one point though.

In the app that you're talking about, it's also rather rare to see someone call if they are not holding the right. You are holding the right of every suit except for the turn suit. Thus, unless someone is very strong in next, they probably won't call.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:57 pm

RedDuke wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:10 am
I'm going to argue with you about that 90% number. I don't have the math to prove it, but I've been euchred far too often holding a hand stronger than this to believe that. I'd say that empirically the odds of succeeding are about 70%. Still strong enough to be worth considering but...

The hand is stronger in black. You still have a void and two guaranteed tricks with the bower. If your partner has a strong enough hand to make this good in red, I maintain that he will pick up. You have a good hand to pass because you can be somewhat neutral no matter what trump is.
When I said, "I'm calling diamonds in the first round with my team having 4 out of the 7 trump accounted for and a guaranteed void", I was implying that our team doesn't have a guaranteed void in the 2nd round which is obviously false. That was a brainfart on my part. That said, I'm not passing 3 trump from the 2 spot unless I have a euchre hand. But that's just a rule of thumb I go by, that's not an argument. I mean I think calling diamonds is best but who really knows without real math, like euchre simulator math. This is one of those close unresolvable (for now) spots imo. I certainly see the argument for the other side.

One point that may be worth mentioning here is the costliest euchre there is, theoretically speaking, is when you get euchred on a hand that has all suits blocked. When you get euchred with this type of holding you never block a 4 loner, and you almost never block a 2 point call (once in a while you will get squeezed off of a guarded left). So If I'm right that diamonds is the correct call, our euchre rate will need to be significantly lower than whatever the usual euchre rate is in this spot to justify my claim. To contrast, this is why we need to be super aggressive from seat 1, round 2 when we block nothing becuz in that instance the theoretical cost of getting euchred is probably so low that calling something is a virtual freeroll. I.E. when you block nothing in that spot the cost of passing is probably high enough that you might as well gamble and call something at most scores. What I'm saying here doesn't really add much to the argument in this thread except to point out that for me or Richard to be right we have to clear a bigger hurdle than usual becuz we have all suits blocked.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Mxx wrote:

What do you think?
At that score, yes, because you are not guaranteed a set/euchre in any other hands, nor make it if you call either black. I take this axiom that I have coined myself. "Never bag your partner" from seat two when you have a biddable hand and a hand that is not likely to euchre anything else. With the score of 8-7 them, you don't want them to get it to their deal at 9-7.

Tbolt65
Edward

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:34 am

Mxx wrote:

What do you think?
Sorry if me bumping this post offends anyone but I noticed this and thought I'd leave my 2¢ worth.

I'm passing all day here (assuming it's a game to 10). Ordering up a 10 with left high and poor off-suit is just too much of a risk. If the opponents have the right then we are probably in trouble and if you have it then you might pick it up anyway. You're in a much better spot to pick it up and if you do I know we're safe from a euchre.

I'm also passing 2nd round too. Even if it gets passed back to you and assuming STD is in place I'm fairly confident we have the hand secured. Obviously you could have junk but if you do me calling is unlikely to yield a better outcome. I only have 1 extra trick guaranteed in black versus hearts. The call is much better coming from you.

Not to mention is going to be heartbreaking if I call one of the black suits and you have a handfull of next. There is absolutely no way I can know which suit you want Trump if any. It's possible you want hearts too if especially if the (Card_J-D) is sleeping.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:28 pm

I agree that this is a great post to resurrect, or bump, even though the last post is a year old. It is a near-edge hand, worthy of consideration.

Xavier raises the point that if you decide to pass on 3 trump in your hand, then you should pass in R2. I agree. You passed because you have a euchre hand in reverse next and you block next. It makes more sense, IMO, to play for 2 in reverse next or settle for blocking the more likely next order from the opponents. If the order goes to S4, your partner, then let partner choose the more likely reverse next suit. I wouldn’t change whether playing standard or STD.

Personally, I am ordering diamonds in R1. Wes and Tbolt agreed in their posts. (I re-read every post in this thread). Wes and Tbolt are 2 world class players. I suggest that you rely on their guidance more than others. I have and have enjoyed success in improving my play significantly. My BPS approach is really their approach with points to speed up my decision process.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:18 pm

I have a saying, " Dont bag your partner" from seat 2. At first glance you may think you got everything euchred. You are however only holding just the right in hearts. So with 3 trump and ordering up the 4th out if 7 trump. This is the call you want to make. Most of the times you get a point. Sometimes you get 2pts. Very rarely do you ever get euchred.

Order this up and dont bag your partner. 😎

Tbolt65
Edward

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:34 pm

Tbolt65 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:18 pm
I have a saying, " Dont bag your partner" from seat 2. At first glance you may think you got everything euchred. You are however only holding just the right in hearts. So with 3 trump and ordering up the 4th out if 7 trump. This is the call you want to make. Most of the times you get a point. Sometimes you get 2pts. Very rarely do you ever get euchred.

Order this up and dont bag your partner. 😎

Tbolt65
Edward
On any score with the opponents not at 8 I'd agree diamonds is a good call. But do you really have any more value with Trump's being diamonds rather than any of the other 3 suits? You certainly don't have better value than the black suits. Yes I know a next call is likely against good players as they aren't likely to pass holding no stopper to loners but you still have a decent chance of a euchre in hearts (don't forget your partner may well want hearts). I still think it's not worth the risk when you're relying on your partner to at least have 2 Trump and an ace if the opponents have the right. I do certainly think making a second round call is the wrong choice. if you pass in round 1 I don't think you are the best person to call Trump in round 2.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:28 pm

The risk of passing here and allowing the other team to get a point, make the score 9 to 7 them makes it Too much of an advantage for them. Will you euchre the team on a spades or club call? Yes, but only some times. If they call hearts you got one sure fire stopper but that still allows them a point.

In euchre you have to weigh the risks of not only ordering but passing as well. Passing here to protect your team from losing to a euchre and the game in the process here is too much of a risk to take with this hand make up and score. I have already mention previously as to why. Euchre is a game of aggression but you can't be overly aggressive. While there are many passive players in euchre. There are times to be a little passive, strategicly that is.

Again if hand make up was different and likelihood of a euchre in any suit is strong then I would weigh in that passing merits a higher net gain then ordering.

Tbolt65
Edward

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:37 pm

Tbolt65 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:28 pm
The risk of passing here and allowing the other team to get a point, make the score 9 to 7 them makes it Too much of an advantage for them. Will you euchre the team on a spades or club call? Yes, but only some times. If they call hearts you got one sure fire stopper but that still allows them a point.

In euchre you have to weigh the risks of not only ordering but passing as well. Passing here to protect your team from losing to a euchre and the game in the process here is too much of a risk to take with this hand make up and score. I have already mention previously as to why. Euchre is a game of aggression but you can't be overly aggressive. While there are many passive players in euchre. There are times to be a little passive, strategicly that is.

Again if hand make up was different and likelihood of a euchre in any suit is strong then I would weigh in that passing merits a higher net gain then ordering.

Tbolt65
Edward
But isn't there a problem with calling diamonds as first seat passing likely means they hold the right? There's a chance they wouldn't pass unless they have the loner stopped. Them holding the right requires your partner to have probably at least 2 Trump or at least an ace that gets led into to stop that euchre.

I know all this has probably been covered but I don't particularly want to read through the entire thread.

However what 2nd seat did in this example is basically the worst decision here (other than Calling hearts). Calling in the hope you catch the suit your partner wants when you have hearts covered too is just wrong. The call is much better coming from the dealer. Even if they have junk it's still best that they call their best suit rather than 2nd seat. If they have junk and 2nd seat calls the wrong suit then it's probably a guaranteed euchre.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:41 pm

XaviRonaldo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:37 pm
But isn't there a problem with calling diamonds as first seat passing likely means they hold the right? There's a chance they wouldn't pass unless they have the loner stopped. Them holding the right requires your partner to have probably at least 2 Trump or at least an ace that gets led into to stop that euchre.
This is a strange assumption. I don't know anybody (including myself) that donates vs a Td up 8-7. There's really nothing we can deduce about S1's range in this spot.
XaviRonaldo wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:37 pm
However what 2nd seat did in this example is basically the worst decision here (other than Calling hearts). Calling in the hope you catch the suit your partner wants when you have hearts covered too is just wrong. The call is much better coming from the dealer. Even if they have junk it's still best that they call their best suit rather than 2nd seat. If they have junk and 2nd seat calls the wrong suit then it's probably a guaranteed euchre.
IMO, if you incorrectly pass on 3 trump in the first round (4 trump for your team), then you must call black in the 2nd round given that you don't have a euchre hand in hearts. S2 has both black bowers and a void. This is a premium reverse next call.

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:30 pm

[/quote]

IMO, if you incorrectly pass on 3 trump in the first round (4 trump for your team), then you must call black in the 2nd round given that you don't have a euchre hand in hearts. S2 has both black bowers and a void. This is a premium reverse next call.
[/quote]

Premium reverse next call that you have absolutely no indication of which suit to call. I'm going to be irate if I'm dealer and I have a handfull of the other black suit to your call or I have a handfull of hearts.

I don't see how S2 R2 calling here has any value whatsoever that outweighs the danger of being euchred. You have terrible off-suit hoping that you somehow catch 1 of 3 suits that your partner has help in.