How to play hand

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
icanplay

How to play hand

Unread post by icanplay » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 pm

I have learned a lot on this site. While reading advanced euchre strategy and biddable hands, I read that a dealer could pick up a low trump, if he or she had another low trump in their hand with a green ACE. I can't make this hand work. I usually get set about 60% of the time. Obviously this is a stretch call. In the past I had a similar experience with (3 low trump two- suited), and also (Right bower with one low trump three- suited). After some trial and error I have learned to play these hands and now i have success most of the time with these calls.
So back to the point at hand, I am the dealer, I pick up a lower trump to go with the lower trump in my hand. I also have a green Ace and three-suited.
1. Is this biddable?
2. How do you play it?
3. If it is biddable, a big question would be if you trump the first trick, what would you lead back.....
A. The green ACE
B. Your last trump
C. An off suite, not the green ACE
4. Am I missing something???

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 pm

I suggest that the first missing item is an appealing post. Let’s improve your post with an easy to relate to, example hand.

Topic; How do you play 2 low trump & a green ace?

Round 1, Seat 4, Score 0-0, equal & average players
Up (Card_9-H) (use full editor and preview)
Hand (Card_10-H) (Card_A-S) (Card_Q-D) (Card_Q-C) (Card_K-C)

I picked up the (Card_9-H) , based on OE website. I discarded the (Card_Q-D) . My question is how do you play this hand?

If I take the 1st trick with a trump, what do I lead?

[Does my post illustrate your post, as you intended? It took me 15 minutes to think through your post, to come up with this example hand! I would not normally do that! You probably had a different example in mind! My suggestion is to make it easy for a reader, with a limited amount of interest and time, to respond to your post. I’ve been coached by fellow posters to post in detail, not generalities. I encourage you to keep posting, but with more, much more detail. I will answer my example in the next post.]

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Richardb02 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 pm

I picked up the (Card_9-H) , based on OE website. I discarded the (Card_Q-D) . My question is how do you play this hand?

Yes, this is an edge hand. I “guesstimate”, 65% success but that means getting euchred 35% of the time. But 65/35 generates a positive score. And ordering is your best opportunity with this scenario. OE people understand. Most players do not.

You do have to play the hand well to achieve 65% success. If I took the first trick with a trump, I would lead (Card_Q-C). The 1sr reason is to give Partner a chance, to take a trick. I need P’s help. The 2nd reason is the hope to make my (Card_K-C) boss. I count on P to take 1 trick but I have to play based on the cards I can see.

What do you think? Would you order up? What would you lead?

icanplay

Unread post by icanplay » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:20 pm

First, thank you for helping me re-post the question. You pretty much nailed what i was attempting to ask. Thank you for your patience and the time you put in to this. This was my first question, albeit, i have commented on a few others questions.
Thanks again, I will keep attempting to play this hand and see if I can improve playing it....

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:31 pm

icanplay wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 pm
So back to the point at hand, I am the dealer, I pick up a lower trump to go with the lower trump in my hand. I also have a green Ace and three-suited.
1. Is this biddable?
Yes. Especially if you don't block any suits in the 2nd round. At a neutral score, I tend to always call this hand if I only block 1 out of 3 2nd round suits or less. If I block 2 out of 3 I will tend to pass at a neutral score. Here's a hand example + answer from my quiz:
2) The score is 0-0. You are the dealer.

The upcard is the (Card_10-C)

You hold (Card_A-D), (Card_K-C), (Card_10-H), (Card_9-H), (Card_9-S)

ANSWER: Call clubs. When you block no suits, two trump plus a singleton green ace is a call more for defensive purposes than offensive purposes. Yes it's a marginal call, and you will certainly get euchred more than you'd like. The theory here is you will squeeze out enough points offensively, plus block enough seat 1 loners + seat 1 calls that end up getting 2 points or 1 point, to make up for the higher euchre frequency of this marginal holding. I would also make this defensive call with two trump and a doubleton green ace, or two trump and a singleton non-green ace.
icanplay wrote:
2. How do you play it?
This question can be answered by checking out this hand example from this site:

https://ohioeuchre.com/E_When-Should_You-Bid-example3.php
icanplay wrote:
3. If it is biddable, a big question would be if you trump the first trick, what would you lead back.....
A. The green ACE
B. Your last trump
C. An off suite, not the green ACE
4. Am I missing something???
Lead the off suit garbage card. This will also signal to your partner that you are weak and he can adjust his play accordingly if he's a decent player that knows how to read hands.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:38 pm

Richardb02 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 pm
Richardb02 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Yes, this is an edge hand. I “guesstimate”, 65% success but that means getting euchred 35% of the time. But 65/35 generates a positive score. And ordering is your best opportunity with this scenario. OE people understand. Most players do not.

You do have to play the hand well to achieve 65% success. If I took the first trick with a trump, I would lead (Card_Q-C). The 1sr reason is to give Partner a chance, to take a trick. I need P’s help. The 2nd reason is the hope to make my (Card_K-C) boss. I count on P to take 1 trick but I have to play based on the cards I can see.

What do you think? Would you order up? What would you lead?
Good example and yes I would call. I'm never passing this hand at 0-0 when I block nothing.......EXCEPT if Seat 1 is a really bad player who passes a lot in the 2nd round and doesn't go alone often, it may be best to pass on this thin call in the first round. The problem with making this thin call when seat 1 is a really bad player is you're actually preventing him from making his biggest mistake: passing too much, and when Seat 1 is bad you'r reason for taking this calculated risk to begin with kinda goes out the window. That said, with a big lead you gotta make these thin calls regardless of whether seat 1 is bad or not. A bad player can still get a loner. Always protect big leads as much as you can. Calling with 2 trump + an off ace when you block nothing is an excellent opportunity to do just that.