No votes
Ten of Clubs
89%

Total votes: 18

Dlan
Site Admin

Poll - 2nd round, your partner in 3rd seat names trump

Unread post by Dlan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:18 am

Your sitting in first seat. On second round bidding, your partner names CLUBS trump.

You hold (Card_A-D) (Card_K-D) (Card_K-S) (Card_10-H) (Card_10-C)

What is your first lead and why?

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:40 pm

INCOMPLETE information - what was the card turned down and what is the score? 3rd ordered, I am leading trump.

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Let's just say the score was 6 - 6.
irishwolf wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:40 pm
INCOMPLETE information - what was the card turned down and what is the score? 3rd ordered, I am leading trump.
Are there there situations where you would change your answer depending on the turn-down?

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:46 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:40 pm
3rd ordered, I am leading trump.
Maybe I'm missing something here but that's what I would do.

patiencepays

Unread post by patiencepays » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:00 pm

partner makes trump, you lead trump if you got one-------always! It's the play with the highest probability to a sucessful result. Any missing information from the senario in question is irellevant. Trust and respect your partners call from 3rd seat. At least once! lol

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Lead trump from a Seat 3 call. Lead 10c.
Last edited by Richardb02 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Lead the 10-C. You always lead trump when 3rd seat calls in first round. In second, it's not as critical but still I'd generally lead trump since that's the best thing to do when your team calls anyway (to pull the trump out of the enemy hands).

jakodiamonds

Unread post by jakodiamonds » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Depending on the other factors that you feel are important, if there are any, lead trump, especially if you are hoping to make any ace or aces you have helpful to your partner, then lead trump to your partner and give him a chance to rely on you for a high card contribution to the effort, later. If your play doesn't work out then blame your partner for some imaginary wrongdoing that anyone should have been able to see lurking in the future. Then run and hide at game's end unless your team wins, in which case, you
explain to your partner that you were on CRACK and didn't mean what you said.

daktsk

Unread post by daktsk » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 am

Lead the club, and hope for the best.......that is, your partner having a fist full of clubs.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:50 pm

Lead Trump so that you and your partners Aces will take a trick on later rounds. It also helps your partner to show him who may be strong in trump and who is weak. It shows you as well, even though you didn't name trump it helps your play as well. Over all leading trump here is paramount in most if not all situations.

Tbolt65
Edward

scottm117

Unread post by scottm117 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:35 am

With this particular hand, lead your highest trump card, which is Tc. Five reasons of which I can think off the top of my head:
1) Your partner would lead trump if they called in first seat.
2) Your Tc is highly unlikely going to win a trick, so make it useful.
3) A trump lead best helps your partner play their hand given that they declared trump.
4) Your Ad is more likely to win a trick when trump cards are gone.
5) You convey vital information to your partner about how strong in trump you are by leading your highest trump card (Tc). By doing so, your partner knows you do not hold either bower. If your partner holds the 9c, they know that you are now out of trump. If you lead Tc and also hold 9c, you can likely make your 9c win a trick on an opponent's offsuit Ace.

MeeKer

Unread post by MeeKer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi guys!

I had a similar situation a few days ago. This was my hand:
(Card_9-C) (Card_10-D) (Card_10-H) (Card_9-H) (Card_Q-S)
My partner (in 3rd seat) called Clubs.
I led with the 9-C and the dealer immediately said: "You know clubs is trump, right?"
(It was a casual game and I'm not very experienced, so the comment was meant to be instructive.)
I said: "Yes, I know."
2nd seat played the left bower and my partner couldn't beat it and played the 10-C and then got two tricks with his two remaining trumps.
We got euchred.

There was a brief discussion afterwards where the dealer and my partner both said that I should have led with the highest non-trump card, which was the Q-S. That if, instead, I led with with trump, it would clear out trump. (What's wrong with that?) My partner said that, by leading with trump, I was assuming that he had the highest trump, which was not the case. Given that he called from third seat, I assumed that he had a strong hand. Also, I don't see how I could have used my only trump more effectively. Seems that my partner was counting on at least one trick from me but my hand was too weak.

Fortunately, the discussion lasted less than a minute and we moved on with the game.

Based on the comments in this forum, it looks like I was right. (It's the 5th "commandment", isn't it?)

The couple (husband and wife) have been playing euchre for about 30 years. My wife and I started a year ago.

Any comments or suggestions?

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:07 pm

MeeKer wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:22 pm
Hi guys!

I led with the 9-C and the dealer immediately said: "You know clubs is trump, right?"
(It was a casual game and I'm not very experienced, so the comment was meant to be instructive.)
2nd seat played the left bower and my partner couldn't beat it and played the 10-C and then got two tricks with his two remaining trumps.
We got euchred.

There was a brief discussion afterwards where the dealer and my partner both said that I should have led with the highest non-trump card, which was the Q-S. That if, instead, I led with with trump, it would clear out trump. (What's wrong with that?) My partner said that, by leading with trump, I was assuming that he had the highest trump, which was not the case. Given that he called from third seat, I assumed that he had a strong hand. Also, I don't see how I could have used my only trump more effectively. Seems that my partner was counting on at least one trick from me but my hand was too weak.

Fortunately, the discussion lasted less than a minute and we moved on with the game.

Based on the comments in this forum, it looks like I was right. (It's the 5th "commandment", isn't it?)

The couple (husband and wife) have been playing euchre for about 30 years. My wife and I started a year ago.

You were right. They were wrong. Most people who have been playing euchre for decades aren't that good. This is becuz MOST PEOPLE who play euchre aren't that good. Experience doesn't really change much. This phenomenon can be explained away pretty easily imo. Euchre is just a game people play for fun. Most don't really care to master it. Most people have better things to do with their time than study a card game.

In the actual hand, your team got euchred becuz the cards were not in your favor. You had no help. The only thing you could do for your team was lead trump. And it doesn't matter if your partner had a high trump or not. Your trump lead should still help him by likely clearing out two trump from your enemy in one lead.

Assuming this was a 2nd round call, your partner most likely made a good call with 3 trump. Again, the cards just weren't in your guys' favor that round. If this was a 1st round call by your partner then he probably called too light.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:07 pm
MeeKer wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:22 pm
Hi guys!

We got euchred.

You were right. They were wrong. Most people who have been playing euchre for decades aren't that good. This is becuz MOST PEOPLE who play euchre aren't that good. Experience doesn't really change much. This phenomenon can be explained away pretty easily imo. Euchre is just a game people play for fun. Most don't really care to master it. Most people have better things to do with their time than study a card game.

In the actual hand, your team got euchred becuz the cards were not in your favor. You had no help. The only thing you could do for your team was lead trump. And it doesn't matter if your partner had a high trump or not. Your trump lead should still help him by likely clearing out two trump from your enemy in one lead.

Assuming this was a 2nd round call, your partner most likely made a good call with 3 trump. Again, the cards just weren't in your guys' favor that round. If this was a 1st round call by your partner then he probably called too light.
I'd have to agree with Wes here. If your partner made a call from third seat and then couldn't overtrump the left, it's very probable that they called too light. Without knowing what else your partner had, we can't be sure of this. Honestly though, even a hand like this is too weak to name trump from third seat:

(Card_J-D) (Card_J-H) (Card_Q-C) (Card_K-S) (Card_10-S)

Yes, a hand with BOTH bowers and no supporting ace is probably too weak to call trump from third seat. While you can lighten up a bit in the second round, the rule still remains that third seat really should have the right in order to call. This is why you lead trump. Generally someone that's calling from third seat has a plan to get the lead straight away and keep it. You want to play into that. The best way to do that is to lead trump so that your partner can take it with the right and you clear the enemy out of trump in the process. Once they have control, third seat can lead with aces (or even another trump) to take the remaining tricks needed.

In cases when they can't get control (like the one you just described) and keep it, it's very hard to succeed with a third seat trump call. That's why you want to have a strong hand to even try.

MeeKer

Unread post by MeeKer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Thanks Wes and RedDuke. :)

icanplay

Unread post by icanplay » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:24 pm

I say you lead the nine of clubs. And i agree you really almost always want to lead trump. I do like to know what was turned down. It helps get an idea of where cards may likely be distributed, example did your partner in the third seat go next or against the grain..... I have found that by the time first and second seat have passed in the second round of bidding, next or against the grain loses some of its punch...