Last Ditch Hail Marys

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Last Ditch Hail Marys

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:44 pm

In another thread, we were just talking about some last chance hail mary plays that are sometimes made when you have to "bet it all." Thought it might be fun to see just how far those will go.

Let's say you're the dealer holding this:

(Card_9-H) (Card_9-S) (Card_9-D) (Card_J-S) (Card_J-D)

Upcard is the (Card_K-C)

The score is 9-9. Everybody passes and it comes back to you. What do you do?

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:21 am

It is an easy call - dealer calls spades trump. And there are reasons for this being the best call.

Irishwolf

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:30 am

irishwolf wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:21 am
It is an easy call - dealer calls spades trump. And there are reasons for this being the best call.

Irishwolf
My question was would you pick up the king of clubs in the first round if everybody passes at a score of 9-9? There's a good chance you won't get to call spades in the next round.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 am

RedDuke wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:44 pm
Let's say you're the dealer holding this:

(Card_9-H) (Card_9-S) (Card_9-D) (Card_J-S) (Card_J-D)

Upcard is the (Card_K-C)

The score is 9-9. Everybody passes and it comes back to you. What do you do?
IMO, it's more of the 2nd seat's responsibility to loosen up at 9-9 or down 9-8 (2nd seat can't loosen up down 9-7, etc due to the risk of blocking his partner's loner). So if someone like me is your partner in the 2nd seat you should probably pass clubs cuz I'm not gonna be much help. If you pass you have at least 1 trick in every suit and a void in clubs so your team's prospects aren't that hopeless. Yes, once you pass you'll be an underdog to win the game, but you'll be an even bigger underdog to win if you pick up clubs.

If you didn't know your partner, say you're playing with some random online, I'd still pass up clubs here. Having every suit covered gives you enough hope if you pass to not feel compelled to force it in the first round when all you have is a 1 trick hand. But like I said before, in theory--at least in my proposed theory--the dealer should never feel compelled to force a call in this spot.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:32 am

That not what you presented in the first post. So you are changing it. All depends on who the players are if I make clubs. If eldest is passive, I might pass.

That being said, I am still making it Spades on 2nd round. 2nd seat should have named something at 9 - 9 and so should eldest. Since 2nd seat did not call, hje must have spades or Nothing at all. You don't pass at 9 to 9 (even with nothing) and let the opponent call it their best. It is easier to score a point than euchre someone. Must have a bunch of players that don't know what the hell they doing.

My question was would you pick up the king of clubs in the first round if everybody passes at a score of 9-9? There's a good chance you won't get to call spades in the next round.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.