JC up what would you do?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

JC up what would you do?

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:11 pm

Decisions, decisions, decisions - they are always pertinent to the game winning and losing.

Here are two hands with Jack up (Card_J-C) score 6 to 6, Pass or Order?

Dealer at S4 has (Card_J-D) (Card_J-H) (Card_J-S) (Card_K-S) (Card_9-D).

If you were at eldest, S1 would you donate?

If you were at dealer, S4, would Pass or Order?

What if the (Card_K-S) was switched for the (Card_A-S)?

What would the EV be for each of those situations as well as the probability of winning this particular game vs maximizing EV?

Assume all good players and playing STD.

Same questions (Card_J-C) up if Dealer had (Card_J-D) (Card_J-H) (Card_J-S) (Card_K-S) (Card_9-C).

What is the best decision to maximize chance to win not only this game but many games played. What does changing out the 9D for 9C do?

Does changing the 9D & KS matter here?
Remember you have little time to make a decision less you give away your hand!

Catch10110

Unread post by Catch10110 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:46 pm

If you were at eldest, S1 would you donate?
In general, not at 6-6. Being down 8-6 with the deal puts you at a 30% chance of winning. Not great. I don't think the dealer makes a loner often enough to justify this, although you'll certainly lose the occasional game that way.
If you were at dealer, S4, would Pass or Order?
I'm going to pass here. Only 2 sure tricks picking up. Next is blocked. As good or better hand in red, particularly diamonds where you can go alone.
What if the (Card_K-S) was switched for the (Card_A-S)?
I'm not sure this changes things. I feel comfortable getting a point if i pick up, but offsuits are still pretty weak. You're just so strong in everything else,(2 guaranteed on any suit, plus the loner shot in diamonds) not seeing why you wouldn't just pass and go for the euchre in next, or the win in diamonds.

I feel like i'm missing something here.
Same questions (Card_J-C) up if Dealer had (Card_J-D) (Card_J-H) (Card_J-S) (Card_K-S) (Card_9-C).
So this changes the potential of a loner in red by a lot. It's probably got a low probability of going through, but a clubs loner attempt could work. You'd really need a lot of things to go right though. You need that As buried, and you almost definitely need a lead into your void suit, and you'd need the bigger 3 reds that beat your loser buried or played...But i think this is worth the risk, as you're in pretty good shape to salvage a point out of it if things go sideways.
Does changing the 9D & KS matter here?
Changing the 9d feels like it matters more than the Ks.

sdu754

Unread post by sdu754 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:32 pm

I am assuming that if I were in the first seat that I wouldn't know what my opponent has. In that situation with the score 6-6, I would not donate. Giving your opponent an 8-6 lead changes your probabilities of winning from roughly 50/50 to you having a 30% chance of winning. Remember that donating is a losing proposition and should be rarely used.

As far as being the dealer, you can do whatever you want. Your hand is good no matter what is called and if it gets back to you, you can call Diamonds. Having the Ace or King of Spades really doesn't change you decision.

In the last scenario where the dealer would have three Clubs Right-Left-Nine, I am picking up the Jack of Clubs.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:16 am

S4 passing all day. Still passing on the card change, unless I have 9pts then I'm ordering then.

S1 I don't know much about my cards but Im either passing or donating.

Tbolt65
Edward