6/13 Mon - Got euchred yet team held top 2 trump

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

6/13 Mon - Got euchred yet team held top 2 trump

Unread post by Dlan » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:12 pm

Everyone played the hand well imo except S3 should not be trumping high on first lead.

Play in the first round was standard. I'd call Next from S1-2nd Rd, but with that crappy of a hand at 6-6 passing is defensible. I'd bet a simulation would show passing is better than calling next with that hand so I can't hate.

I'd also call diamonds in seat 2. Seat 1 leads the TH which I think is a good lead as I would not lead the turned down suit in that spot and I'm not convinced a trump lead is better. Seat 2 plays off which is what I would also do. Now Seat 3 should trump low since the probability S4 has a heart is huge given that all we've seen is the TH. No need to trump high here. Play for the euchre by trumping low and keeping a high trump behind the maker.

After that S3 correctly leads his boss card (Ac) and wins the trick.

On 3rd street S3 correctly leads clubs again and S4 plays off rather than trump in with the Right. Did S4 screw up? No. When the enemy already has 2 tricks S4 cannot blow the right on a double lead. He has to play off and let his p the maker get the trick, then the maker will lead trump and S4s Right will protect his team.

Obviously S4s line failed cuz the maker had 2 clubs and thus was suited in and S1 got to trump in for the euchre. Those are the breaks. The result doesn't matter. S4 played his hand really well and that's all that matters in the long run.

Technically S4s line didn't fail from a results oriented perspective because S4 had no winning lines on 3rd street. But again the results don't matter. Blowing the right on a double lead and then giving his P a toxic non-fresh lead on 4th street is not an option. S4 played this hand expertly.

The only other question I'd be interested in, in this spot, is regarding S1s play. Let's assume passing does beat out that garbage Next call in the 2nd round. What I wonder is would a simulator show that calling spades in the first round with just R+1+0 is better than the "pass r1-pass r2" line with this holding.