Not sure what S1 was thinking here.

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Not sure what S1 was thinking here.

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:12 pm

S3 called... S1 should have led trump...

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:24 pm

That is true, nuts not to lead trump. But your partner saved your Butt with all those aces.
S3 has only JC QC and orders? INSANE with Next like that.

Dealer would have Ordered and you would have gotten 2 points.

Irish

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:35 am

irishwolf wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:24 pm

S3 has only JC QC and orders? INSANE with Next like that.

Irish
Being up 9-5 I actually think you can justify S3's order IF S1 is the typical amateur who doesn't play the 2nd round well. With a good partner I would never make this call and in my tournament I would never make this call either, even with a bad P. In that latter case I'd rather hunt for the euchre hoping to get 11 pts or hope to get really lucky and have the dealer pass and my P go alone in something for 13 pts. And the worse case scenario of the dealer passing and my P passing in the 2nd round and say the 2S getting a 4 point loner isn't that bad as my team is still a 2-1 favorite at 9-9 with the deal and losing with 9 pts is also not a big deal in my tournament. But when I'm on the app and winning the game is all that matters and my P sux--which is almost always the case--I'm making this dubious call trying to close this out as soon as possible. If I get euchred, fine, my team is still up 9-7 with the deal, approx 81% equity.

BTW if we change the score in this spot to up 8-5, I would never make this call even with a bad P. I think passing and hunting for that game winning euchre is better despite the potential problems my team could face in the 2nd round.

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:17 pm

Setting aside the question of whether the third seat should have called, there is a basic guideline of leading trump to your partner on a third-seat call. Many times not doing so will result in your team being euchred.