Finding enjoyment in the game again

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
XaviRonaldo

Finding enjoyment in the game again

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:00 am

I used to play this game almost non stop. Ever since I crashed down in rating on the app I use I just don't find it enjoyable. I'm really struggling to get anywhere near where I was in rating. I was top 40 ranked for a while. But now I find myself getting very frustrated at mediocre players I tend to get partnered with now I'm a mediocre rating myself. I guess this proves I'm mediocre myself. Maybe it was a reflection of the volume of play I was playing as to why I had such a high rating before because I've been barely winning 50% of my games for a year or more now. I used to enjoy any game even ones I lost as long as it was close. I honestly enjoyed losing a close game more than winning a landslide that my opponents had no chance in. Now I really just play just to try and get somewhere near the ranking I had. I really love euchre in the way it's a simple game in the surface but there are some pretty tricky tricks you can do to surprise your opponent. But, I just can't get into it like I used to. Any ideas?

PS I'd love to play your forum games but world of card games is impossible to play on a phone

Catch10110

Unread post by Catch10110 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:39 am

I am assuming you're talking about Euchre 3D rating. It seems like nearly everyone that has been playing on there for a long time has gotten relatively high, only to suffer a huge fall. I think a huge part of that is due to the increase in the number of players that has happened over the past few years. When I first started, I believe there number of players was in the low 20k range. It may have even been below 20k. Now, it's 81,616. That's going to give you lots of variations in the types of games that end up happening.

My interest in the game definitely comes and goes at times...so i don't really have a great answer on how to maintain interest. Nothing wrong with taking a break for a bit and coming back.

Any way to get your hands on a laptop so you can play on WoCG?

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:36 pm

Ronaldo, I think if I were in your shoes and wanted to get back to where you were I would do the following:

1) I think you are already motivated enough to get where you want to;

2) I would analyze by tracking games, with my rate of successful calling trump when my opportunity. You need to be at 66% success rate when calling or you are giving away points.And overall, total calls should be at least 25%. Where are you, greater or less than. This would indicate just how aggressive or conservative you are.

3) From there what is your euchre rate when you call trump? Standard for all players is 14 - 15%. Where do you stand? If over 18%, maybe too aggressive, (discounting donations as that is deliberate). If less than 14%, probably increase chances of calling? My thinking the two are the 'acid test' numbers euchre rate when I call and percent of total calls. If those two parameters are favorable you will be successful. The win - lose ratio of games will take care of itself. I like my rate 28 to 32% of total calls. Euchre is a game of aggression but you have to have a good rate success.

4) If you donate a lot, try to reduce it to 9 to 6/7 or Only with Jack as the upcard. Everything else is most likely bad decision-making.

5) You can't control who your partner is (I think where you play). That a difficult one and might have to tweak and call more conservatively based on skill level there. And you probably have to be careful about calling Next without a strong hand as the 'baggers' are plentiful. And that includes crossing suit at S1. You will have to observe and assess quickly the quality level of those playing.

6) One last one is change where you play not just at the same place. There are others. Maybe a change in venue would help>

I think you are already on your way to rebounding because you are asking for suggestions. If you did play on WOCG, one could better gauge your game and you your own game against others. Not seeing your play, difficult to comment. Those comments would be for anyone playing.

GOOD LUCK! (LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES!)

IRISH

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:32 pm

I had the same issue. I'd get severely P.O.'d when I'd go on a cold streak or lost a single game in dramatic fashion. My rating got pretty high (I think it was <2,600) but I'm way too competitive for it to be healthy for me. I'd even resort to trash talking.

I mostly just stick to the casual games on euchre 3D now. My girlfriend and brother both play now so I can pair up with them and it is pretty fun. To play with a friend that isn't on the phone or right with you, just create a private game and invite them. Then switch it to public after they've chosen their seat.