score 9-9 deal should always pickup?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
ncoonen91

score 9-9 deal should always pickup?

Unread post by ncoonen91 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:59 pm

Hi all, pretty simple straightforward question here. At a score of 9-9 the dealer should ALWAYS pickup and everyone at the table should just know its a pickup and crapshoot from there right? I was dealer at a game where score was 9-9 with a bad hand but felt like it can never be right to pass. Same goes for S1R2 if the dealer ever does pass you should always call something right? Am I missing anything?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:09 pm

Yes at 9-9 everyone of a sound euchre thinking mind knows that passing here is not good and you want to order. If you partner does not order from Seat 2 R1 to you. He generally will have only 1 trump (no Bauer) or 0 trump. Generally, you will be calling lighter and both players should expect this. Teammates that is. So, if your teammate doesn't order from seat 2. There is a really good chance you are on your own as the dealer. Now with randoms. You still may have to bite the bullet and orders anyways because they usually do not know how to order light at a 9-9 score.

With all that said and depending on my partners. I have passed it 9-9 my deal. It is rare but sometimes it's get to my partner in R2 Seat 2 and they usually just call their best. Random or Not. It's extremely, extremely rare to get it back to your call as dealer at 9-9. With any type of players. So you can rule that out from happening with any frequency at all. Sure it can still happen but not likely at that score.

Tbolt65
Edward

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:58 pm

Tbolt is 100% spot on with the details he shares.

His answer can be condensed to a couple of points, especially for a 1st time poster. Welcome ncoonen91!

1. No. The Dealer should not, “score 9-9 deal should always pick up.” Tbolt explained that he does not always pick up!
2. You have to loosen up your ordering minimums. That should be understood by almost any players.

Tbolt added a lot more meat to the turkey carcass. LOL. Digest the condensed summary and then move on to his astute guidance. Feel free to ask follow up questions.OE is a buffet of Euchre knowledge.

ncoonen91

Unread post by ncoonen91 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:15 pm

Thanks guys! tons of good stuff here, I appreciate the input. So the short answer is No, its not an automatic pickup, but nearly. When you mentioned that you sometimes pass to get to your partner's call, that should never work right cause in a competitive game s1r2 should actually NEVER pass at 9-9. always call your best.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:49 pm

ncoonen91 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:15 pm
Thanks guys! tons of good stuff here, I appreciate the input. So the short answer is No, its not an automatic pickup, but nearly. When you mentioned that you sometimes pass to get to your partner's call, that should never work right cause in a competitive game s1r2 should actually NEVER pass at 9-9. always call your best.
Sometimes that when you pass(as dealer) it "can" get to your partner(S2R2). But yes, you are correct, it really shouldn't get past S1R2 in a competitive game.

Tbolt65
Edward