11-05-21 OE Friday - got euchred #4

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

11-05-21 OE Friday - got euchred #4

Unread post by Dlan » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:23 pm

The maker was euchred. Was there a way to make a point os should they have passed?

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:45 pm

Im never passing there. The call was fine and the play was fine to. I was setting up an end play that didn't work. My p couldn't help. I couldn't get the lead to first seat. So ensue the euchre.

Tbolt65
Edward

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:03 pm

Good call. Partner had no trump, nor aces, could not take a trick. Getting euchred is a part of the game. So at a high level view, no issue.

Looking more closely, my line of play would go a different direction. My simple approach is play power when you have it. 3 trump is power. I will also add, not using power is wasting your strongest asset!

My “play power” approach first shows up in S4’s discard. I would discard the Ts and not the Kc. Kc is more power. A king is too important to discard, in general. There is a 45% (44.4%) probability of the Ac being in P’s hand or the kitty. I equate it to a half of a Singleton Ace. Half a factor, or half a “klick” as I have posted before. Players may have a convention about which suit to discard. That is an unknown. But even with the convention, I would consider keeping the King. I have a question for players of this covention, do you discard a Singleton Ace?

The 2nd “play power” approach is the 3rd street lead. My power is in trump, so I would use it. As S4, I would have lead the R. It draws the opponent’s trump and the point is made. Yes, I could waste P’s trump, but I have 2 times the opportunity to draw trump from my opponents vs. 1 for P. That too is power. The street 4 lead still has the opportunity to hit P’s A. I still give P a chance, by playing Kc or Td. I fail to see any advantage in playing the Kc.

I know, that it looks like I’m taking advantage of knowing all the cards in this hand. But, my conclusion is based on seeing almost 3 years of OE hands on the forum as well as playing almost all Monday night games. In this hand, P not having any help, was overcome by all 3 remaining trump being in the kitty. That has an infinitesimal possibility!

Now, I play the “finesse” when I am weak, but I suggest the pendulum is on playing power with this hand and similar strong hands. RK9 is strong IMO, but so is Rx trump and a Singleton A, R & 2 aces, even x and 3 aces. I am not exhausting all possible combinations. There are other factors to consider. Playing power, when you have power also communicates to P, that you have power and they can play accordingly.

Playing power is also less error-prone, than finessing. I suggest that is for both me and my P. What do you think?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:58 pm

There are definitely two ways to play it. Leading trump and not. I've played both ways and still do. Upon thinking yes discarding the king is probably a mistake mathematically. However the thought process is trying to discard what seat 1 is likely to lead. Based on whats your hand and your partners by them passing. I try to visualize what could be in their hands and make a split second decision. I do play a base convention that I came up with. Of what to discard as a default on my order or my partners order. So If I cant reasonably visualize whats in their hand. I go to that set default as to what to discard.

Tbolt65
Edward