Euchre Quiz, Question #4

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
raydog

Euchre Quiz, Question #4

Unread post by raydog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:23 pm

Question #4 of the Euchre Quiz is the following:
The score is 6 to 8 in your favor. (Card_J-D) is the upcard. You sit in 3rd seat. Your partner is a skilled player and he passed. 2nd sat passed. You hold the following in your hand: (Card_A-D) (Card_Q-D) (Card_10-D) (Card_9-H) (Card_A-S) . Do you pass or order the dealer up?

I ran a simulation of 10,000 hands with these cards fixed and the rest of the cards random, and the result was an EV of -0.24 if I order the dealer up (41% euchres) and +0.28 if I pass (I euchre the dealer 43% of the time - many aggressive dealers loathe turning over a bower, and will call with marginal hands). [Note that the euchres don't add to 100% because the play will differ depending on who orders up, notably the opening lead]. I looked at how a bunch of the hands were played and it seems reasonable, it's just that dealer is in a very strong position. I have found that in general it is poor decision to call up a bower from 3rd seat without a much stronger hand than this (maybe 3 trump with L and A, and an off-suit A, 2-suited).

But the quiz results say I should order the dealer up.

Note that I understood "your partner is an experienced player" to mean that they will lead trump on the first trick, if possible. Just in case I was mistaken I tried having 1st seat lead their worst card on the first trick, but the results didn't change.

What am I missing? If this is an example of donating to keep the opponents to bid a successful loner for the win, shouldn't 1st seat be doing that?

raydog

Unread post by raydog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:15 pm

I've found the answer (Tips and Info -> Blocking / Donating -> page 6):

Because partner in 1st seat is a skilled player, they would have called up the bower to block UNLESS they had that suit guarded (in this instance, protected Left). So, adding those two cards to their hand and randomizing all the rest, the results are:

- call up R into the dealer's hand: EV = 0.90
- pass: EV = 0.77

Thus, better to call.

So much good info on this site, just need to do some digging!

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:25 pm

You nailed it raydog! Do some more digging is the key. Answering the quiz was a great step but the answer makes sense once you read the Lessons.

Keep posting, especially with the important details!