Calling Trump when you have no Trump.

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Yankeeman50

Calling Trump when you have no Trump.

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:06 am

I play Euchre in the the Rochester NY area. I play three times a week and I also play on Euchre 3D. The rule here is that you have Trump to have the dealer pick up and the opposite bower is not Trump. I was playing on Euchre 3D and I was the dealer. My partner and I were behind 9-7. The cards were dealt and a spade was up. I had a sure spade loner. The seat to my left told me to to pick up that spade and I had to throw away Trump. He led a diamond Trump and of course I took it with my spade Trump. Then I led the Jack of Spades and he didn’t even have a spade. Of course I euchred him and the score was tied 9-9. He got the deal next and called diamonds and he and his partner got three tricks and won. My question is do other people play this way in other parts of the country in real live tournaments? If I wanted to play in a tournament and the rule better be that you have to have Trump to have the dealer pick up and the left is not Trump. If that rule isn’t in I wouldn’t play in that tournament. Thoughts on this please.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:46 am

You said, " My question is do other people play this way in other parts of the country in real live tournaments? If I wanted to play in a tournament and the rule better be that you have to have Trump to have the dealer pick up and the left is not Trump. If that rule isn’t in I wouldn’t play in that tournament. "

That was a great call by your opponent at 9 to 7. As to your question, Euchre is played in various ways and that rule in your local, MUST HAVE A NATURAL TRUMP", is a b u l l s h i t rule. Reason why is that is you limit the exciting way the game has always been played. And it works both ways, fair to all. But they do that in Chicago as well but the majority of the country does not have that rule. And most Tournaments in Michigan & Ohio do have it.

I have played a lot of euchre on various web sites, Trickster requires a trump (but Left is a trump you can Donate), Nidink & WOCG does not require a trump to order and the old Pogo & Yahoo did not require a trump. Joe Andrews The Grand Prix (“live”) World Series of Euchre played in various states did not have a rule that you had to have a trump to order. Chatgamers tournaments in Flint each year, is the same. You need to widen your experience in the game of Euchre because it is more common that you don't need a trump to order than your local rule.

As to the fascinating history of this game from its origin DID NOT REQUIRE A TRUMP, and in fact (when the game was to 5 points) highly recommended donating with the score was 4 to 1 or 2 for the opponents.

As to changing the rules of the game, you are destroying the exciting nature of this game by limited how it's played. And not playing in a tournament, how limiting and naive you are. And besides, what if 1st seat had only the 9 of trump and you had a fist ful. Is that not also the same Principle? Then your local rules would to require two trumps to order? You are changing the historical nature and statistical probability of the game.

STOP CRYING ABOUT THE RULES.

IRISH

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:39 pm

The Natural trump to call is a variation on the game. The most common euchre is calling trump. Having a natural trump or any trump for that matter is not required. What is is making point if you don't you get euchred. With that said. What was employed against you was something called Defense. With opponents being up 9-7 and getting their deal next and a score of 9-9. They are hedging their bet basically to prevent a game ending loner in which they would lose if one was made. This is actually a valid play and often used strategy.

Tbolt65
Edward

Yankeeman50

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:05 am

In my part of the country you have to have 1 Trump to call me to pick up. I’m fine if you tell me to pick it up with one Trump but with no Trump to me it is crap and unfair.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:10 am

YANKEE, you obviously did not read my post.

IRISH

Yankeeman50

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:21 am

Irish I did read your post. You said I was naïve. Listen I have been playing Euchre for over 50 years and to me that is not the right way to play Euchre. If you want to spoil my loaner than you better have 1 Trump in your hand and it can’t be the left because that is a club. Play fair and play right!

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:25 pm

Yankeeman, nickname is CryBaby,

One person cannot determine FAIRNESS, and that is obviously your definition. Fairness is "impartial and just treatment or behavior without favoritism or discrimination."

Euchre Laws were established over 200 years ago. For example look at Dwight & Leed's, Laws of Euchre published 1888 or Professor Meehan 1862. You will NOT find that you have to have a trump to order.

Over 200 years "Laws" and I would define that as Common Law (of Euchre). Our Laws in the USA are based on the British system of Common law, also called Anglo-American law, the body of customary law, based upon Common Law courts of England since the Middle Ages.

You want to change those Laws. Those are local house rules that do not apply in the universe of the Euchre world.

Just because you have played euchre for 50 years now, means NOTHING. Have your ever read, obviously not, or played euchre with anyone outside your local area.

The answer is still, your one trump rule is no more fair that no trump rule established over 200 years ago. Stop Crying!

IRISH

Yankeeman50

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:05 am

Irish you really like to call people names. Rules are made to be changed if they are unfair. Just because it was a rule 200 years ago doesn’t mean it is right in today’s Euchre. Do you always call people names just because they disagree with you?There are tons of people in the Rochester NY area that play with the rule that you have at least Trump to call Trump to stop a loaner. What part of the country do live in Irish? I will make sure that I won’t play Euchre in your area. I play on Euchre 3D my handle is Yankeeman50. Play me if you dare.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:17 am

Still a CRYBABY - get out and experience what Euchre is all about.

"Do you always call people names just because they disagree with you?There are tons of people in the Rochester NY area that play with the rule that you have at least Trump to call Trump to stop a lo. . ."

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:27 am

Having played in many different states and a couple of places in Canada and all had played standard euchre.

It's of general interest that Wikipedia lists this "Natural trump rule" under the heading of a variation of Euchre. Also listed are under the same heading are others such as with No ace, No face; Going under.

All these different variations distract from the game.

justme

Unread post by justme » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:14 pm

Dlan wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:27 am
Having played in many different states and a couple of places in Canada and all had played standard euchre.

It's of general interest that Wikipedia lists this "Natural trump rule" under the heading of a variation of Euchre. Also listed are under the same heading are others such as with No ace, No face; Going under.

All these different variations distract from the game.
You have ignored the fact that STD is also a VARIATION, a stupid needless one which has made the game of euchre less enjoyable for many. Another needless adjustment which changed the face of euchre was raisng the final score from 5 to 10. Perhaps variations are not distractions from the game at all. They might just be making the game better for people with biases different from others.

****Most disturbing in this discussion thread is the bullying language that occurs in some of the replies. Acceptance of it by the sites host is simply outrageous and severely serves to limit participation at this forum. There's a reason there is normally only the same 3 to 4 participants thread after thread. Maybe it's because good people prefer to avoid know-it-all bullies.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:45 pm

Well Justme, I can't let your comments stand without some push back.

First, your comment, "You have ignored the fact that STD is also a VARIATION, a stupid needless one which has made the game of euchre less enjoyable for many."

You calling Dlan comment, ignored (variant of IGNORANT), AND STUPID NEEDLESS. He did not say it was all inclusive of the variants of euchre or that they were bad just that they are not Standard euchre.
Additionally, You failed to add any explanation as to your statement saying Needless. Why do you think it Stupid and Needless?

So what you are in fact saying anyone playing STD is stupid!
Appears that you are the BULLY! You comments could be Bullying, in that HEY, you missed one, shame on YOU!

You should have explained yourself and ADD something of value to the conversation. I am of the opinion, you added nothing about variants of euchre as to Making the game BETTER! HOW? & WHY? What & why does STD, being Stupid and Needless to back up your Biased statements. Add something of value. FYI, I could give you at least five more variants of the game. They are variants only, not needless or stupid, and neither is the variant of NO TRUMP ORDER rule. It and those, are variants.

This forum is free and open, to any statements of difference. It where you you get a variety of differing opinions. But you want the Administrator to step in and do what? Audit comments? Just what do you want him to do, EXPLAIN and justify what, how and why. I think he does an excellent job of letting the forum conversation play out. It is give and take, room for disagreement, etc. etc. Just an opinion. And I myself have been on both the giving and the receiving side. My advice, give facts and get a thicker skin if you do not like the conversation.

As to my comments, I will not apologize for knowing the history of euchre and my experience, playing in tournaments in numerous states, including Canada. I gave the FACTS to a question that was asked. One that the variant Yankee does not like or will not accept, that being order with one natural trump. It is was not historic to the game. Two, the many websites and areas in the country outside of Rochester, NY do not observe his rule. Yet, he continued to say, UNFAIR and would not play in that tournament. That is fine, but I added he was not knowledgeable about the Facts. He persisted, so I said he was crying about the rules. I did not call him stupid or even suggest that. If being called a CryBaby, and not accepting factual information is Bullying, then so be it!

I gave specific reason that NO trump, 1 trump or 2 trump requirement but got no explanation, only that he played euchre for 50 years. (that means little if you play only in your local area that the rules never change) I have played with numerous players from that area in tournaments and they did not complain about the no trump rule, Joe Andrews World Series of Euchre - Cincinnati, Cleveland, Niagara Falls, CA, Lansing, Columbus, CA. Those are facts, not bullying.
For Yankee, he could have said, okay, it is a variant, I like the variant and choose to only play that way. He got his answer but did not want to hear it. He wanted someone to agree with his biases is my guess. Life is not that way.

And Justme, if you are going to throw stones, gives some FACTS is my advice so we can learn something, please. SO NOW YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO GIVE SOME FACTS!

IRISH

justme

Unread post by justme » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:09 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:45 pm
Well Justme, I can't let your comments stand without some push back.

First, your comment, "You have ignored the fact that STD is also a VARIATION, a stupid needless one which has made the game of euchre less enjoyable for many."

You calling Dlan comment, ignored (variant of IGNORANT)

IRISH
ignored means failed to acknowledge - verb
ignorant means lacking knowledge - adjective
neither is a variant of the other

FACTS! >Your pushback, as you call it, is mostly more long-winded twisted BS, not deserving of further reply. I pity you. You're full of yourself and you likely will never learn how to adress others respectfully, remaining stunted forever.
Last edited by justme on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:26 pm

And I gave you a chance to explain yourself, ..." "And Justme, if you are going to throw stones, gives some FACTS is my advice so we can learn something, please. SO NOW YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO GIVE SOME FACTS! Instead of staying on subject, you employ "ad hominem". So again, stick to the subject and add some justification for your comments as discussed above.

And you chose to avoid the question(s). So again, stick to the subject and add some justification for your comments as discussed above.

It very doubtful you have any facts. So we disagree, Justme!

IRISH

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 pm

Yankee man, "Yankeeman50. Play me if you dare."

I will play you any time. Just come to Monday or Friday OE Euchre, if you dare!

You to Justme!

Just post a day or so in advance.

IRISH

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:20 am

Staying focused on the issue:

So back to Yankeeman's position on the call of ordering with NO TRUMP, is it fair?

What is the supporting position that this is UNFAIR VS Ordering with one trump is fair?

You can't just say something is Unfair without some logical explanation. You can't say, well Aunt Molly and Uncle Rufus said that's according to Hoyle!

We know how those variants to the original rules come into play - someone's loner got spoiled! However, when some variant enters the game, does it reduce or increase the statistical variation of the game and give the less skill more of a chance (like going under, Partner's Best, Ace-No Face, STD - all introduced that favor giving the less skilled player a beter chance)? The Jack as the upcard when the score is 9 to 6/7 is as much Luck. And the donate by the opposing team when this occurs is a statistical dynamic that makes the game more interesting as it cuts both ways. And it was there from the origin of the game.

And the game to 5 points, that is not the whole story. The fame was played to 5 points, but in a series ob best of 3 games to 5 points - THE RUBBER.

IRISH

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:20 am

Just lost 10-9 in 3rd seat when we were ahead 9-6. My partner failed to employ this tactic and it cost us. I had junk I guess I should've ordered it. But, trust your partner they say. Yeah that's becoming less and less of a good idea these days. There are some really stupid players on that app.

I would say losing to a LUCKY loner after you've possibly worked your butt off to get that lead is more unfair. I have no problem with donations and I do it myself. I only get annoyed if my partner does it at weird times.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:01 am

XaviRonaldo wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:20 am
Just lost 10-9 in 3rd seat when we were ahead 9-6. My partner failed to employ this tactic and it cost us. I had junk I guess I should've ordered it. But, trust your partner they say. Yeah that's becoming less and less of a good idea these days. There are some really stupid players on that app.

I would say losing to a LUCKY loner after you've possibly worked your butt off to get that lead is more unfair. I have no problem with donations and I do it myself. I only get annoyed if my partner does it at weird times.
I say trust your partner until they prove otherwise. Look for things in the game. Or multiple games but if it happens to be the first game and you got no reads. I say still go with they know what to do. However with that said. An arguement could be made with no reads, first time playing and at that score of 9-6 or 9-7, to donate from seat 3.

Tbolt65
Edward

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:39 am

Tbolt65 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:01 am
XaviRonaldo wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:20 am

An arguement could be made with no reads, first time playing and at that score of 9-6 or 9-7, to donate from seat 3
In hindsight 4 suited with queen high I probably should've played safe

Yankeeman50

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:40 am

To Irishwolf: I probably won’t be playing anywhere else but the Rochester NY area. The rule that you have to have at least one trump to stop a loner is played that way in every tournament and Euchre league that I play in. Also if I have clubs you can’t order me with the up the Jack of Spades. It is fair rule. To me your way is like reneging or trying to steal the deal. UNFAIR!

Catch10110

Unread post by Catch10110 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:41 pm

I learned to play in western NY and we didn't have this as a rule. I now play outside of Chicago, and we also don't use this rule.

The idea that the dealer can't pick up the right with only the left in his hand is ridiculous. You can pick up the right with a matching Ace (one position weaker than R+L) and you can pick up the right with the left and a matching 9 (one position stronger), but somehow the holding in between those two is not fair to someone? And who is it not fair to? It's completely arbitrary and just doesn't make sense.

If i'm to the dealer's left and make a call without any trump, i'm putting myself at a disadvantage...i'm most likely GIVING you 2 points. You're somehow claiming this is unfair to you.

It's also possible to make a "next" call without trump with the intention of scoring. Who is this unfair to? It seems like it's decidedly UNFAIR to deny me my opportunity to name the suit of my choice on my turn.

I've yet to hear any solid rationale on why you should be required to have trump in your hand in order to make a call. All i've ever heard are sour grapes about someone getting their loner ruined.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:23 pm

RIGHT ON CATCH, well said!
" If i'm to the dealer's left and make a call without any trump, i'm putting myself at a disadvantage...i'm most likely GIVING you 2 points. You're somehow claiming this is unfair to you.

It's also possible to make a "next" call without trump with the intention of scoring. WELL SAID ALSO! Who is this unfair to? It seems like it's decidedly UNFAIR to deny me my opportunity to name the suit of my choice on my turn. "

No trump is as old as when Euchre was our National Card game in the last half of the 19th century. Already explained when this post started.

IRISH

Yankeeman50

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:19 pm

Irish. Still playing Euchre the wrong way?

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat May 28, 2022 4:56 pm

Yankeeman50 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:40 am
To Irishwolf: I probably won’t be playing anywhere else but the Rochester NY area. The rule that you have to have at least one trump to stop a loner is played that way in every tournament and Euchre league that I play in. Also if I have clubs you can’t order me with the up the Jack of Spades. It is fair rule. To me your way is like reneging or trying to steal the deal. UNFAIR!

Hi Yankeeman50,

What if the tournaments I play in are all 8hands/twice dealt around the table, for total points at every club I go to in my area? Does this still negate the fact that Euchre isn't a game played to 10 or 11?

No it wouldn't. That format would still be a variation on the game of Euchre. Just like ordering with only a natural trump is still a variation on the game of Euchre. Playing with a Farmers, or Ace No face, STD......all variations on the game of Euchre. There are more but just trying to hammer it home to you. That in your area you may play you have to have natural trump. Which is fine. Some people play std or whatever. The fact remains the game at it's core has rules and depending on how one's want to play the game euchre they can always come upon an agreed upon terms to play.

Now in my opinion the variations like Natural trump, go under, farmers hand. Pass your partner your best. Stuff like that. Detracts from Euchre. It' makes it easier for the casual players who refuse to get better at the game or just can't. That's not a knock on you and it wasn't meant to be that is just straight up facts. To cheapen or lessen the game to make it easier is only there to make the lesser players feel like they can compete and have fun. While taking all intricacies and strategy away that was inherent in the game of Euchre.

Tbolt65
Edward

Yankeeman50

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Sat May 28, 2022 6:51 pm

Tbolt65 The variations that you mention except Natural Trump I agree take away from the Euchre. To the people and to me in our area if you call Trump to your partner or to stop a loaner you have to have trump to do it. To me that takes away from the game of Euchre. It is only fair. I would never play in a tournament if it had your rules.

justme

Unread post by justme » Sat May 28, 2022 11:40 pm

Yankeeman50 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:51 pm
Tbolt65 The variations that you mention except Natural Trump I agree take away from the Euchre. To the people and to me in our area if you call Trump to your partner or to stop a loaner you have to have trump to do it. To me that takes away from the game of Euchre. It is only fair. I would never play in a tournament if it had your rules.

Not fair? Who is getting cheated when euchre is played in it's original manner that no trump is needed to call trump? Nobody is cheated! Actually, IMO, the rule that comes nearest to being unfair is the variation STD. The STD rule was probably introduced by somebody with no patience, in a hurry and a lack of sense of fairness. It makes no sense to allow 3 seats the opportunity to twice call trump and twice to pass each hand, but the dealer gets only one pass, then is forced to make. There's enough luck in euchre; STD dummies it up more.

But, hey, I still play in tournaments that are STD because not only am I good enough to adapt my strategy but delighted to play "euchre".

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun May 29, 2022 1:51 am

justme wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:40 pm
Yankeeman50 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:51 pm

Not fair? Who is getting cheated when euchre is played in it's original manner that no trump is needed to call trump? Nobody is cheated! Actually, IMO, the rule that comes nearest to being unfair is the variation STD. The STD rule was probably introduced by somebody with no patience, in a hurry and a lack of sense of fairness. It makes no sense to allow 3 seats the opportunity to twice call trump and twice to pass each hand, but the dealer gets only one pass, then is forced to make. There's enough luck in euchre; STD dummies it up more.

But, hey, I still play in tournaments that are STD because not only am I good enough to adapt my strategy but delighted to play "euchre".

Bingo. As in you hit the nail on the head. However there are times when you are playing euchre and it feels like bingo. 😀

Tbolt65
Edward

Yankeeman50

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 am

I don’t like STD either but will play in tournaments that have it. If you want to ruin my loaner you better have Trump in your hand. It is only fair. In fact in tournaments that I play in the Rochester area if you don’t have Trump the person that would have called the loaner gets 4 points.

justme

Unread post by justme » Sun May 29, 2022 2:42 pm

Yankeeman50 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 am
I don’t like STD either but will play in tournaments that have it. If you want to ruin my loaner you better have Trump in your hand. It is only fair. In fact in tournaments that I play in the Rochester area if you don’t have Trump the person that would have called the loaner gets 4 points.
As long as a rule is applied equally for all players it is fair. Maybe what you are actually implying is that you prefer the rules to afford conservative players a better opportunity to score points, particularly against considerably more aggressive players. Regardless where the bar for making trump is set a "winning player" will have developed a successful strategy within the rules of the day.

PS Alone or loner, not loaner. A loaner is a banker.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun May 29, 2022 3:42 pm

So Yankeeman, by your Rules, if the Dealer with the Jack up, he must Pass as he has no Natural trump card, RIGHT? It must be that way because by your rules any other player with the Left cannot order the Dealer when the Jack is up? What's fair for one has to fair to the others? And when the Jack is not the upcard and eldest orders with not natural trump - WHAT's THE PENALTY? What if his partner at S3 had four trump cards of that suit - WHAT's THE PENALTY.

Thus, it intuitively follows that on R2, you must have a trump to call? And if the Eldest has the Left on R2, he cannot call trump by your rules to make it "fair". And further, with no trump in Next Eldest cannot call Next. Have you ever called Next with no natural trump card? We all know why your rule was invented anyway, don't we? Because Aunt Flossy's loner was ruined when Eldest ahead 9 to 6 ordered her Jack of Clubs up. She said she would no longer play unless they changed the rules! :lol:

And if a player on R2 calls trump with no cards in that suit - WHAT IS THE PENALTY? :?:

All critical violations of Laws (rules), must have a "just" Penalty.

Let's admit it, it chaos euchre. AND IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Yankeeman50

Unread post by Yankeeman50 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:51 pm

To Irishwolf Do you play on Euchre 3D? My handle is Yankeeman50. How do you play on this site?