Two Low + Off-Suite Ace 2nd Seat

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
jblowery

Two Low + Off-Suite Ace 2nd Seat

Unread post by jblowery » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:16 pm

This happens a lot and it seems borderline. I'm in 2nd seat and have two low trump + an off-suite ace for the suite that is face up in R1.

Would you generally order that up or not? Assume it is NOT a jack and you do NOT have all other suites blocked and nothing strong to call in R2. Maybe the answer depends upon whether it is singleton and/or green ace.

I typically order it. We do get euchered once in a while but if I don't order it we usually come out on the negative end as well because now 1st & 3rd seats are both going to be able to call in R2.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:33 pm

Leaving out a lot of information.

However in most cases I am not ordering with a competent partner. I am ordering however in situations where we have close out scores to try to win the game. Having other suits blocked is not the only consideration. Can you reasonably call in the opposite suit for your partner is the question you should be first asking. Or call for yourself in round 2? I could possibly order if my partners pass too much.

Tbolt65
Edward

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 pm

I'm actually more comfortable calling this at an OE table than against random players. Your partner may pass on this without your help, and you could be trading points with your opponents if you would have scored, and instead they call next and score. I would prefer to have something better than 2 low trump, but as long as it's a green ace, then so be it. With random opponents I'm just not worried about them making real next calls, so I will pass in this spot and hope it all works out.

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Yah assume you have nothing good to call r2.