Why pass in north?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

Why pass in north?

Unread post by Dlan » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:35 pm

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:55 pm

Well, if S1 was an expert player, you would have euchred them on a next call, and if the dealer has 3 trump or possibly a decent 2 trump hand, they're going to pick it up. S2 can just call next here, and with both bowers and a singleton green ace, he's likely to make a point. But it's still a gamble, you may get the euchre here, but you may also have given a point away if they can cross the river.

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:07 am

jspectre wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:55 pm
Well, if S1 was an expert player, you would have euchred them on a next call, and if the dealer has 3 trump or possibly a decent 2 trump hand, they're going to pick it up. S2 can just call next here, and with both bowers and a singleton green ace, he's likely to make a point. But it's still a gamble, you may get the euchre here, but you may also have given a point away if they can cross the river.
May also allow S1 to have a red loner

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:57 am

XaviRonaldo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:07 am
jspectre wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:55 pm
May also allow S1 to have a red loner
That would be quite unlucky, but certainly not impossible, especially if the dealer passes because they have decent chances of stopping a point in next, and they assume that their partner likely holds better cards in green if they are unable to order. Personally, the risks don't outweigh the potential benefits, the only time I'm considering a pass here is if I can reasonably make a loner in next, but am unlikely to do so in the current suit. Well, there's one other exception, and that's losing 9-3 or something, I expect my partner to know that I would not be calling even if I held strong cards, as they need to be attempting any marginal loner that has a chance. I know there's risks to this strategy, but it's very likely that only a successful loner is going to have any chance of staging a comeback.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:23 pm

OE Lesson 3: “How and when to bid” is the best place to answer this question.

If can can take 2 tricks you should order. The R1S2 hand has 2 bowers, a green ace, a void and a K9 combination. That is 3+ tricks and 3+ is greater than 2!

General principles are general principles because they work. You don’t go against a general principle unless you can clearly see a better way.

What better way can be offered? Playing to euchre the opponent sums up the offerings. There is another OE general principle that addresses that, in general sandbagging (playing for a euchre) loses points more often than it works. Don’t seriously consider playing for a euchre unless you can clearly see a better way.

What better way may apply? There is a particular Seat, and only 1 seat, where it applies. That is S1. In S1, you control ordering for Round 2 of ordering. No other hand has this advantage. This would be an excellent hand to pass from S1. You are playing to euchre an order by the opponents and taking 2 points. You can consider ordering a Loner in R2, with the hand in the OP.

The confusion arises by applying this S1 exception to other positions. KISS, keep it simple student! Apply simple general rules before considering complicated exceptions. Playing winning Euchre is more enjoyable than discussing how many angels can stand on the head of a pin. IMHO.

LeftyK

Unread post by LeftyK » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:18 pm

they sure got lucky on the march :) --- s2r1 must call there - no brainer.