Trying To Catch The Dealer

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Trying To Catch The Dealer

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:52 am

From our Friday night game... the dealer tried a loner and S1 suspected it was a weak call and led trump... turned out he was right.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:51 am

Why in world would South lead trump on a Loner? You have the Dealer euchred by leading clubs or hearts?

That is so bad, UNBELIEVABLE lead by South!

Those bad decisions Friday night is why I left after the 2nd game. Calling Next from 2nd seat when that discussion just occurred the day before! Then bagging from the dealer spot on Next when a point could have been made by ordering the upcard. When you do that you destroy S2R2 call of green. Horrible strategy and playing.

Certainly not learning anything from these posts or OE on how to play the game.

IRISHIWOLF

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:44 pm

When defending against a lone call, your first objective would be to stop the lone by taking a trick. A second objective should be to try and euchre the maker. Here you may need your partner's help. Needlessly stripping your partner of a trump is not helpful.

This would also apply to holding the right. Sure, leading it stops the lone, but the call is can be stopped at any point. The question is what does leading the right do to your partner’s hand?

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:48 pm

Have to agree with Irish, what were you "right" about here? Leading trump cost you a euchre, and you don't have the type of hand configuration that is guaranteed to euchre the maker with a trump lead. Leading trump made it possible for me to make a point with just JDAD and an AC. I'll be honest, I'm often confused by the hands you post on here.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:02 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:51 am
Those bad decisions Friday night is why I left after the 2nd game. Calling Next from 2nd seat when that discussion just occurred the day before! Then bagging from the dealer spot on Next when a point could have been made by ordering the upcard. When you do that you destroy S2R2 call of green. Horrible strategy and playing.

Certainly not learning anything from these posts or OE on how to play the game.

IRISHIWOLF
Irish, passing with more strength in next is a perfectly viable strategy, rather than trying to make a point with a very marginal call, that you yourself passed on from S2. I believe they said that they only had left+1, with the rest in next, it wasn't like they passed both bowers and a side ace. I don't believe these situations are as clear cut as you're making them out to be.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:47 pm

I AGREE, BUT YOU GOT EUCHRED CALLING NEXT AT R2S2 - Friday Euchre! And the shame of it was that very hand you discussed!

ha ha! Rookie!

IRISHWOLF

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:22 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:47 pm
I AGREE, BUT YOU GOT EUCHRED CALLING NEXT AT R2S2 - Friday Euchre! And the shame of it was that very hand you discussed!

ha ha! Rookie!

IRISHWOLF
I think you're imagining things, old timer, I called next from S1R2 and got euchred, and then you made some strange comment complaining about it, to which I didn't understand. Now, I get it, you thought you were the dealer somehow, and I called next on your deal, none of which actually happened. LOL

XaviRonaldo

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:25 am

I don't see how in any situation it is advisable to lead trump defending a loner. You have no 2nd opponent to draw trump from. Defending a loner is the only time it is absolutely NEVER acceptable to lead trump IMO

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:28 am

XaviRonaldo wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:25 am
I don't see how in any situation it is advisable to lead trump defending a loner. You have no 2nd opponent to draw trump from. Defending a loner is the only time it is absolutely NEVER acceptable to lead trump IMO
It's very rare, but certain hands may require a trump lead in order to euchre the opponent.