Epidemic of leading trump on defence holding Right-Ace

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
XaviRonaldo

Epidemic of leading trump on defence holding Right-Ace

Unread post by XaviRonaldo » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:34 am

I've noticed a trend lately where a lot of people when holding Right-Ace of trump when defending a call go ahead and lead their right Bauer. This is an especially bad play when you hold no aces (which happened in a recent game by my partner). It is especially useful to hold off on the trump when the caller is to your right (which again was the case here).

Am I missing something here and I'm the one who's wrong? I know I've dropped almost 300 rating points on 3D and that could be the reason with the players I'm usually playing with but surely this is a basic concept. 9/10 times a player calling without the right will have 3 trump at least and will usually have the left. You're just playing into their hands leading trump.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:14 am

You're not wrong, there's virtually no time where leading the right against the dealer is correct, other than some 3 trump or left/ace scenarios, you mainly only want to be leading trump when 2nd seat calls. Now, if we're talking about both bowers, then I'm not entirely sure what the best play is. If you also have an ace you can try for a double lead and force the maker to get the last two tricks without any trump or you can try to slow play it, both scenarios have their risks.

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:19 pm

You're very much correct here.

The only time that it makes sense to lead trump on defense is if you've got at least three trump. The hope with doing this is that you've got more trump than the maker so if you can take out all their trump then you may be able to control the hand.

That's obviously not the case here. You're right, usually if someone calls trump without holding the right then they probably have at least three and probably a side ace. In that case, unless you've also got three then you don't want to lead trump since that's giving control to the maker.