Euchre Tournament - different number of games

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Jkwehrman

Euchre Tournament - different number of games

Unread post by Jkwehrman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:16 am

Hi. Every year I host a weeklong euchre tournament on vacation. People come and go and want to play, but at the end of the week some people have played 2 games, while others have played 10. Is there a good way to score the games with bonus points for each game played to find a winner? I don’t want the cousin who won and played only one game to beat out those who played every day. Thank you.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:58 pm

It doesn't seem like a structured tourney. More like a series of games. Those teams/players with 2 games vs 10 games should be segregated from each other. Gave separate standings for teams with different games played, ie: 10 with 10, 2 with 2 ect..

Jkwehrman

Unread post by Jkwehrman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:26 pm

Yes, this is a casual family event, but they do want fair rules and they do get competitive.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:42 pm

You say that you don't want the cousin to win with only one game played, but how fair do you want the system to be towards the teams that don't play as many games? Do you want them to still be able to win if they only play 4 games, but win all of them, or do you want to primarily reward those who play the most games, even if they only win 6 out of ten games played?

Jkwehrman

Unread post by Jkwehrman » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:35 pm

Good question. Last time I tried to even it up by giving 2 bonus points for each game played, then found everyone’s average and rewarded points for highest average. This rewarded those who played a lot and was seen as unfair. Maybe the winner has to play a minimum number of games, such as only those who have played at least four games are eligible to win?

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:43 pm

Jkwehrman wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:35 pm
Good question. Last time I tried to even it up by giving 2 bonus points for each game played, then found everyone’s average and rewarded points for highest average. This rewarded those who played a lot and was seen as unfair. Maybe the winner has to play a minimum number of games, such as only those who have played at least four games are eligible to win?
Here's what I would do then, I would use a point system and award +1 point for a win, and -1 point for a loss, and +0.5 bonus points for winning a game by a score of 3 or more, including scores that end above 10. There is no additional penalty for losing the game at any score. I believe this should be a fair compromise to all players, those who only play 1 or 2 games can't accumulate enough points to win, and those who play the most games have more opportunities to earn bonus points. This way, a team that's 8-5 can't automatically lose to a team that's 4-0, because they had 4 more wins worth of chances to earn bonus points.