6-11 Hand #4

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Tbolt65

6-11 Hand #4

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Still gets the euchre but finds the error, however minor it may be could have been a costly one.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 pm

First seat trumped the 9h lead on 3rd street, even though 2nd seat threw away the Jh the turn prior, which was a poor move considering his opponents both showed hearts, and his diamonds were much less useful. If 2nd seat also had the Kh then he would have played over the qh on the first trick.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:43 am

jspectre wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 pm
First seat trumped the 9h lead on 3rd street, even though 2nd seat threw away the Jh the turn prior, which was a poor move considering his opponents both showed hearts, and his diamonds were much less useful. If 2nd seat also had the Kh then he would have played over the qh on the first trick.
That's the part I missed in the hand. I was worried about the 2S having the boss heart (KH) and just wanted to trump in and get the euchre those times my P has the other bower. But as you pointed out, hand-reading logic shows once the S2 revealed the JH on 2nd street, he can't have the KH, since if he had KhJh he would play over the Qh lead on the trick 1, which means the 9H is effectively boss. I missed that in the heat of battle.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:05 pm

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:43 am
That's the part I missed in the hand. I was worried about the 2S having the boss heart (KH) and just wanted to trump in and get the euchre those times my P has the other bower. But as you pointed out, hand-reading logic shows once the S2 revealed the JH on 2nd street, he can't have the KH, since if he had KhJh he would play over the Qh lead on the trick 1, which means the 9H is effectively boss. I missed that in the heat of battle.
It's easy to analyze a replay, it's a different animal altogether when you're in the heat of the moment, I can easily see myself missing this one detail, and wondering whether the 9h is boss or not when the Kh hasn't been played. If 2nd seat had correctly held onto the Jh, then it would have been an automatic decision to trump, with the Jh and Kh missing in action.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:56 pm

jspectre wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:05 pm
It's easy to analyze a replay, it's a different animal altogether when you're in the heat of the moment, I can easily see myself missing this one detail, and wondering whether the 9h is boss or not when the Kh hasn't been played. If 2nd seat had correctly held onto the Jh, then it would have been an automatic decision to trump, with the Jh and Kh missing in action.
[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of how good anyone is at remembering whats been played or understanding what is possibly left to be played. It's important to always know so you give your team the best shot of winning. Sometimes fatigue comes in play, or a phone call/text or knock on your door turns your head at the wrong time. What ever it may be. It happens to all of us. That is why for serious play, it is always important to do your best to pay attention. Again like I said it didn't matter in this hand but It may have though. I'm highlighting the importance of paying attention, not necessarily trying to say this player played wrong. But to say missing small detail can be costly. To be a teaching moment for all.

However, I did catch this as it happened or I wouldn't of saved the hand. Just saying Jspectre.

Tbolt65
Edward

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:07 pm

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't something that couldn't have been spotted in the moment, it's pretty straightforward if you pay attention to 2nd seat throwing away the Jh, he couldn't have had the Kh or he wouldn't have played under the Qh. I was just emphasizing that the real test is analyzing it all in the moment, and I understood you were showing this as an example of a mistake that could have been avoided with a bit more attention to detail, not to criticize the player.