Monday Night Euchre Hand #5

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Tbolt65

Monday Night Euchre Hand #5

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 pm

I've seen this somewhere before.

This is why I don't favor these hands in these scenarios. They can work but, make them work when it counts or up a bit more so it doesn't hurt your team.

Tbolt65
Edward

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:29 pm

I don't like a lot of things here. First seat does everything right up until the point where he takes the trick with the KD and the maker can't beat him. That means it's go time, unless the maker's partner is hiding the right bower, that means the left bower is boss, and leading trump, and then following it up with a boss KS is exactly what you want to do here. He misses a juicy opportunity, and then the maker just plays off and lets first's boss KS ride, even though 3rd seat has already shown he is void, AND the maker has an ace of clubs he can lead back for the 3rd trick.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:19 am

jspectre wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:29 pm
I don't like a lot of things here. First seat does everything right up until the point where he takes the trick with the KD and the maker can't beat him. That means it's go time, unless the maker's partner is hiding the right bower, that means the left bower is boss, and leading trump, and then following it up with a boss KS is exactly what you want to do here.

This is absolutely correct. After S3 shows void in trump on trick 2, S1 needs to read the hand better, understand his Left is boss and then play for the euchre. As you said, lead that Left and then the boss KS. The fact that S3 showed void in trump means 2 things: Leading the Left can never hurt S1's team and crucially it also means the odds that S4 has another trump to help the maker goes up significantly which is why it's so important for S1 to lead that Left to potentially take out 2 more enemy trump with 1 lead.
jspectre wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:29 pm
He misses a juicy opportunity, and then the maker just plays off and lets first's boss KS ride, even though 3rd seat has already shown he is void, AND the maker has an ace of clubs he can lead back for the 3rd trick.
Yeah S2 just had a brainfart here or something. S4 showed a spade on the first lead (AS) so there's a good chance he has another spade given that he already had the opportunity to create a void when he picked up. So that means when S1 leads the KS there's a good chance it will walk if S2 doesn't trump in. S2 especially can't allow that to happen when he doesn't have the boss trump. S2 also has nothing to fear as far as being overtrumped since S3 showed void in trump. So S2 needs to make the simple play and trump the KS and then lead the AC and hope it walks for the point and if not hope his P has another trump to save the day.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm

NO NO NO, you should make a point on this hand around 75% of the time, if played correctly. Dealer played it all wrong putting his AS on the first trick. S2/S4 should have made a point if played properly. Let your partner have the trick as S1 is probably setting up his KS. bUT PASSING here is okay too.

IRISHWOLF

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:18 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm
NO NO NO, you should make a point on this hand around 75% of the time, if played correctly. Dealer played it all wrong putting his AS on the first trick. S2/S4 should have made a point if played properly. Let your partner have the trick as S1 is probably setting up his KS. bUT PASSING here is okay too.

IRISHWOLF
Oh man, I completely missed that the dealer simply could have given the maker the 1st trick in spades and saved his ace, so many mistakes this hand. Then the maker can just lead his AC and the dealer can play off in hearts. Now from here they can't get euchred no matter what the maker chooses to lead.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:04 pm

jspectre wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:18 pm
irishwolf wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm

IRISHWOLF
Oh man, I completely missed that the dealer simply could have given the maker the 1st trick in spades and saved his ace, so many mistakes this hand. Then the maker can just lead his AC and the dealer can play off in hearts. Now from here they can't get euchred no matter what the maker chooses to lead.
I missed that too. There's no good reason for S4 to play over his P's boss spade especially when that demotes S4s other spade to non-boss status. His P is the maker, let him have control on the 2nd trick and decide what's best for his team.