Second Hand Assist

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
RedDuke

Second Hand Assist

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat May 29, 2021 5:01 pm

We've been talking about S2 assist calls in other threads. Here's a great example of one that may not exactly look like a great call to most inexperienced players but it actually works out pretty well.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:24 pm

3-9 you need to let your partner pick up and possible have a chance at a loner. With week partners that don't go alone or don't pick up much then an argument could be made for your order.

Tbolt65
Edward

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Sat May 29, 2021 9:36 pm

Tbolt65 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:24 pm
3-9 you need to let your partner pick up and possible have a chance at a loner. With week partners that don't go alone or don't pick up much then an argument could be made for your order.

Tbolt65
Edward
Agreed but this was a weak partner that doesn't go alone much.

I was really kicking myself about whether or not I should try this... as you said, you don't want to rob him of a loner chance. Most people don't try loners very often though.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sun May 30, 2021 4:52 pm

RedDuke wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 9:36 pm
Tbolt65 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:24 pm

Tbolt65
Edward
Agreed but this was a weak partner that doesn't go alone much.

I was really kicking myself about whether or not I should try this... as you said, you don't want to rob him of a loner chance. Most people don't try loners very often though.
Doesn't matter if your partner sux in this spot. Damn near all partners are weak. That almost goes without saying. Bottom line is you need a miracle to comeback here. Ordering up your P from the 2 seat with 1 trump makes it harder to catch that miracle. It's kinda paradoxical but when you're down a lot you cant make super-marginal calls from the 2S-R1. You have to pass hoping your P's "got it". Even weak P's still have a loner range.

An aside: If the score was 9-9 or 8-9, then you should call with your holding. It's now or never, you have a decent helper hand and you don't wanna give your weak P a chance to pass. Up 9-3, you could argue for calling with your hand for the same reasons. Try to close out the game, you have decent help, and you don't really want this hand getting to the 2nd rd when you block no suits. But down 9-3, it's pass and pray time.