FridayNightWoCG hand #4

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Tbolt65

FridayNightWoCG hand #4

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:54 pm

A Next call?

Seems to go through alright but it almost got a little dicey there.

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Tbolt65
Edward

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:27 am

LOL, next with one? Not much to say!

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:17 am

Standard uncontroversial Next call to me. S1 has 1 trump + 2 boss offsuits. Not passing this when I don't block reverse Next.

The other question tho is S3's R1 pass. I gotta admit with a P like me in S1 I kinda LOVE IT. S3 can't go alone, he blocks all suits and hits a Next call. Why not bag the dealer and trust his P in R2. Of course S3's pass needs to be tested but my first instinct is to say BADASS!

One thing to add here is if S3 bags this hand and I call Next from S1 and lead trump and S3 takes the first trick with one of his bowers, I believe S3 should lead the other bower on 2nd street followed by his off ace on 3rd street. The logic is my Next range will be so wide and weak in this spot, S3 should forget about playing for 2 and instead take the line that maximizes survival. I.E when S3 has a clear path for 1 pt, take it. With both bowers and an off ace S3 has that clear path. If S3 had JJX in trump that's a different story as there's now a higher chance the enemy could be out of trump after the first lead plus 1 pt is probably locked in anyways, but with just 2 trump and my wide range that will have just 1 trump pretty often, S3 should play his hand to secure a point.

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:52 am

I agree standard call, for your partner/next.

Tbolt65
Edward

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:12 pm

LOL. I was having a problem following this post and then I discovered that the picture didn’t match the hand! The pic has a 9s Up and the hand has an Ad.

Once, I figured our the picture and the hand didn’t match, I still have 2 questions.

Irish, are you in favor or against ordering Next.

Wes, I was going to ask you what are the 2 off suit bosses. Then, I realized that the Kd is boss in the hand (but not in the picture). Once I realized the Kd is an “ace-equivalent” (as an alternate description of Boss), BPStrategy then matches your guidance that this is a standard Next order. But, in my days as a casual player (before OE games), I would have described it as highly controversial! This is an excellent hand to help casual players improve their Euchre!

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Opps, ok fixed

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:40 pm

I guess so because it was me in 1st seat to that hand that called next and led the 10H. No big deal, I have two off suit covered with KD & AC. No sense in passing. Lol, there was a lot of cat & mouse, bagging on next, etc. So am I in favor of it all the time, answer is NO! You have to know when to pull the trigger.

Irish, are you in favor or against ordering Next.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 pm

LOL! LOL, to Dlan & Irish.

We seem to agree 100% that it was a very interesting hand!

Everyone seems to agree that R2S1 Next with 1 trump, 2 boss off suits and nothing in Reverse Next is a definite order.

I still suggest that Next with 1 trump is a “huuge” leap for any Beginner or Casual player. Can any of you, that contributed to this post, think back that far? Are there any readers that have questions about ordering Next with this hand? We really want to inspire questions on this OE forum. Beginner questions are always welcome.

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:12 pm

The Art of a Next call(aka Hoyle) or how to amaze the opponents

https://ohioeuchre.com/E_next.php

Now, if you make a call like this with players that don't understand how euchre is played watch all the kind things that are said. ;)

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:12 pm

Ya. I learned about next/ hoyle right away. I got yelled at. At one time my nickname was Johnny F'n hoyle. So I made a euchre name as such. Johnny_fckn_hoyle. For yahoo euchre. 😎

Tbolt65
Edward

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:19 pm

Well, I watched my father in amazement many times call next on 9s & 10s. He always said Hoyle this and Hoyle that. But never produced a source book. lol But we believe every word of it. Had too, or he might take us to the wood shed.

F.... Edmund Hoyle never knew Euchre in 1750s.