Weekly games 12/28 Playing as partners

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

Weekly games 12/28 Playing as partners

Unread post by Dlan » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:59 am

Here I’ll show two different, yet similar situations. Both involve giving information to your partner.

Hand 1

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Hand 2

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:43 am

Yep in Hand 1 the dealer misplayed the hand by false-carding his P. Seat 2, the maker, ordered the TS up into his P, the dealer's hand. With K-T-9 in trump, the dealer should trump the first lead with the 9S and lead the KS to his P letting him know he still has the TS. Equipped with this information, the maker now would now double lead diamonds with his non-boss TD so his P can trump it securing the 2 pt march.

When the dealer instead trumps with the 9S and leads the TS he is falsely communicating to his P that that is all the trump he has. Given this bad information, and the possibility that the KS is in S1's hand, the correct strategy for S2 is to now run his trump to the end hoping his non-fresh, non-boss diamond can take his team home for 2 points. And that's what S2 did. Unfortunately S1 correctly held on to his boss JD to stop the 2 point march.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:41 pm

I confess, I am a simple minded man! I read through this post 3 different times. Finally I found the key principles!

The general principle is keep track of the picked up card. It especially applies in a R1S2 order, like the 2 hands in this post. (Until I received revelation from this post, I only noted the picked up card. I failed to apply that information. I am now motivated to communicate more effectively by using that information).

The mistake in the 1st hand was that the picked up card, Ts, was lead on trick 2. Leading the Ts instead of the Ks is the autopilot play.

The communications principle was to inform the maker, S2, North, that S4, Dealer, South had a 3rd trump. Playing the Ks conveyed that very important information.

The 2nd hand illustrated the proper lead.

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:46 pm

Partnership, Partnership, Partnership

Keeping track of what's played/picked-up is one of the more difficult parts of euchre. This, along with counting trump, can be done but it takes practice.