Three Trump, Two Suited

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Post Reply
RedDuke
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 am

Three Trump, Two Suited

Post by RedDuke » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:13 am

How would you have played this?

Score is 2-1 in the opponents' favor. I am the dealer.

I'm holding:

(Card_J-C) (Card_10-S) (Card_9-C) (Card_A-H) (Card_K-D)

Upcard is (Card_A-S)

Everybody passes. I pick up and discard the 9 of clubs.

We actually wind up getting euchred because my partner has no trumps.

My partner promptly starts screaming across me at the table that I made a horrible call. I'm thinking, what exactly should I have called?

A couple hands later, I'm holding this while in first seat:

(Card_J-C) (Card_A-S) (Card_9-S) (Card_A-H) (Card_K-H)

Upcard is the (Card_K-C)

Everybody passes and I call next. We actually got euchred again with it because all the next cards (that I didn't have) were in the opponents' hands

At this point, my partner is going berserk and cussing at me like crazy from across the table.

I really don't think either of these were bad calls based on what I had. In both cases, I had three trumps, two of which were reasonably high ones and the one was even a two-suited next call from first seat!

Especially in the second hand, I might have actually spared us from a loner!



Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:44 pm

I think they're both bad calls because you should be going alone with both those hands :)

The first hand is debatable but I'm going for it. Not going alone in the 2nd hand with a perfect suited ace is downright criminal.

RedDuke
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 am

Post by RedDuke » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:44 pm
I think they're both bad calls because you should be going alone with both those hands :)

The first hand is debatable but I'm going for it. Not going alone in the 2nd hand with a perfect suited ace is downright criminal.
You're right, I probably should have gone alone with the second hand especially. I still would have been euchred but that's often the case regardless. If you're euchred on the loner, you probably still would have been if you took the partner along.

In the second case, I might have actually done better going alone because the rules would have given me the last play instead of me having the first play and having to worry about being overtrumped. I wouldn't have made four points (my opponent had the right) but I probably could have at least gotten 3-4 tricks.

irishwolf
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Post by irishwolf » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:27 pm

I am not sure what you are asking for comments on as you give no idea on how the tricks played out. On the first hand it is possible to get euchred but opponents have to have the AD to your KD and a void to your AH in addition to the right bower.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:08 pm

RedDuke wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm
In the second case, I might have actually done better going alone because the rules would have given me the last play instead of me having the first play and having to worry about being overtrumped. I wouldn't have made four points (my opponent had the right) but I probably could have at least gotten 3-4 tricks.
We're you playing on the Karman games euchre app?

RedDuke
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 am

Post by RedDuke » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:29 am

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:08 pm
RedDuke wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm
In the second case, I might have actually done better going alone because the rules would have given me the last play instead of me having the first play and having to worry about being overtrumped. I wouldn't have made four points (my opponent had the right) but I probably could have at least gotten 3-4 tricks.
We're you playing on the Karman games euchre app?
Yes.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:03 am

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:08 pm
We're you playing on the Karman games euchre app?
RedDuke wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm
Yes.
Just wanted to note that I would only go alone with the first hand if no one went under. With the 2nd hand I'm going alone no matter what.

What's your name on the app? I'll put you on my friend list.

RedDuke
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 am

Post by RedDuke » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 pm

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:03 am
Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:08 pm
We're you playing on the Karman games euchre app?
RedDuke wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm
Yes.
Just wanted to note that I would only go alone with the first hand if no one went under. With the 2nd hand I'm going alone no matter what.

What's your name on the app? I'll put you on my friend list.
Name on the app is Red Duke, same as here on the forums (but with a space in it). I usually play pretty late at night on my tablet when I can't sleep.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 pm

RedDuke wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 pm
Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:03 am
Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:08 pm
We're you playing on the Karman games euchre app?
RedDuke wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm
Yes.
Just wanted to note that I would only go alone with the first hand if no one went under. With the 2nd hand I'm going alone no matter what.

What's your name on the app? I'll put you on my friend list.
Name on the app is Red Duke, same as here on the forums (but with a space in it). I usually play pretty late at night on my tablet when I can't sleep.
Cool. You're on my friend list now. I'm Wes 34. Maybe one of these days we'll organize a game in the friendly table section. Then I can change the rules to normal euchre.

RedDuke
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 am

Post by RedDuke » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 pm
RedDuke wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 pm
Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:03 am



Just wanted to note that I would only go alone with the first hand if no one went under. With the 2nd hand I'm going alone no matter what.

What's your name on the app? I'll put you on my friend list.
Name on the app is Red Duke, same as here on the forums (but with a space in it). I usually play pretty late at night on my tablet when I can't sleep.
Cool. You're on my friend list now. I'm Wes 34. Maybe one of these days we'll organize a game in the friendly table section. Then I can change the rules to normal euchre.
Sounds good. I'll look you up next time I use the app.

Post Reply