Showing your partner where you can help

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
mmny

Showing your partner where you can help

Unread post by mmny » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:10 am

When i was learning this game many years ago, I was taught to show my partner, as soon as I know, the non-trump suit I planned on keeping until the end. Is that a thing? I know players naturally do that if they have an A, but what about K/10/9?

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:20 pm

I suppose you are talking about Loners but was not specific. If so, then I think you have it backwards. It is very difficult to impossible to show what you are saving if it is a singleton or doubleton. So on loner defense you slough what you are NOT going to save asap and you partner saves that suit if possible.

In regular play, you have to follow suit so your comment hardly applies.

mmny

Unread post by mmny » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 pm

I am using this on offense( P ordered) and defense, and against a loner. If I can help my P in a suit, or tell them what suit I am covering, without hurting my hand I'll show that at my first chance to throw off. Maybe it is not a thing. I have never read it. Maybe that is why no one wants to play with me!! This is euchre so there is no always or never, it is the rational behind a play that is correct or not.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:47 pm

I am not sure what you are asking? I will say that first priority is to slough singleton off suit to create a void so you can trump that suit. So how in the world does this tell you partner you are keeping that suit to the end? It makes no sense and besides if your partner does not know what you are doing how can it be helpful (very confusing - DON'T FOOL YOUR PARTNER).

The only example I know of that relates to what you are saying is when you have Ace/King combo. You slough the Ace to signal you have the King. However, even that can be an issue because the opponents will avoid playing that suit.

So if you want information, give examples!

~Irishwolf

mmny

Unread post by mmny » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:23 am

First, thank you for the discussion.

one easy example
H is trump
you have As,9s,9d,10d,Qd
H or d lead you play 9s

H T
you have As,Qs, Ad,10d,10c
Trump lead
pick your A and keep till the end unless future cards shown changes that

make that first slough a thing
If you watch your play with that in mind you will see you have one per game

I know it is far between that it can help, but if your P knows you do that when you can, it may help them to decide which K to save for last card. I can't see where it would hurt
I want to be a good partner and want to make every card I play valuable
If it is not a thing known in the expert world then I can't be upset when my P doesn't read the play

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:35 pm

You example with AS + 9S, either one will hurt you playing the AS more often than help. When spades is led and trumped while you sloughed 9S you AS does not win a trick. You lose your option to guard you AS when you slough it too soon as opposed to sloughing something to create a void. I might be the master of creating "conventions" and this is not one of them. Nor any good euchre players to my knowledge even try to use this for the reasons already mentioned, i. e. creating voids is the first priority and clashes with this.

As discussed I see far more issues in trying to communicate this way that includes loners or regular play.

But good luck with it.

mmny

Unread post by mmny » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am

Found my answer to my first example in lesson #4 ( I didn't think I had to read the non advanced lessons ). I only add that you have to strongly consider holding that tell until the end.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:18 pm

I'll post some examples of using the cards to communicate with your partner. If anyone disagrees let me know.

To keep things simple, for all these examples assume your partner called hearts from Seat 1, first round and led the Right, and you have the following hands in S3:

(Card_A-C) (Card_K-C) (Card_K-S) (Card_9-S) (Card_10-D)

Play the AC on the first lead. Let your partner know you have clubs covered.

(Card_A-C) (Card_K-C) (Card_A-S) (Card_9-S) (Card_10-D)

Play the AC on the first lead. You could play the 9S to suggest you have Spades covered but playing the AC emphatically let's your partner know you have clubs covered. Play the card that gives your partner perfect information instead of merely good information.

(Card_A-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_K-S) (Card_9-S) (Card_9-D)

Play the 9C which weakly tells your partner you have clubs covered. Do whatever you can to give your partner information they can work with.

(Card_A-C) (Card_A-S) (Card_K-D) (Card_Q-D) (Card_9-D)

Play the KD. By playing the KD you are unequivocally letting your partner you know you DO NOT have diamonds covered, since if you did you would've played the AD out of an AdKd set. Notice most players would play the 9d in this spot which actually suggest you DO have diamonds covered, the exact wrong message to send to your P!

(Card_A-C) (Card_9-S) (Card_K-D) (Card_Q-D) (Card_9-D)

Again, play the KD, letting your P know you don't have that suit covered. Playing the 9S sends the wrong message that you may have spades covered. Don't give your P bad information when you can give them accurate information.