2-10 weekly games hand 2

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Post Reply
User avatar
Dlan
Site Admin
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 pm
Location: Ohio

2-10 weekly games hand 2

Post by Dlan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Image

https://worldofcardgames.com/#!replayer ... %3A1%7D%5D

On second lead, would you play a high or low trump?



irishwolf
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Post by irishwolf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Of course lead low turn the power back to the maker. No justification for leading the AC.

User avatar
Dlan
Site Admin
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 pm
Location: Ohio

Post by Dlan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm

I'm not sure I see it that way. As the maker, I'd like the option of being able to leave the lead with my partner. On this hand you had no choice to take the lead, however, that may not always be the case,
Anyway, I asked because I'm looking for other options. It's possible I'm wrong.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:39 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 pm
Of course lead low turn the power back to the maker. No justification for leading the AC.
Just curious, what if you ordered me up on the (Card_9-C)

And the only trump I had was the (Card_A-C) (Card_9-C)

And I won the first trick without using a trump. Should I lead low and technically falsecard you into thinking that's all the trump I have, or should I lead high letting you know I for sure have another trump? I've always wondered about this spot. My default is to lead low but I'm sad about it. I just hate when leading the Ac unintentionally promotes an enemy Kc to boss status.

Edit: Also another spot where I'm not sure what's best: you order me up on the Qc and I have AcQc. Lead low with the Qc or lead high with the Ac? Again, I'm paranoid about promoting an enemy King, but I hate falsecarding my P.

FWIW, if I had Qc9c and you ordered up the 9c, I would send the Qc in this spot. Do you agree with this? What if I had Kc9c. Still lead low with the falsecard problem, or lead high. What would you do?
Last edited by Wes (aka the legend) on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:54 pm

Dlan wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:49 pm
I'm not sure I see it that way. As the maker, I'd like the option of being able to leave the lead with my partner. On this hand you had no choice to take the lead, however, that may not always be the case,
Anyway, I asked because I'm looking for other options. It's possible I'm wrong.
If IW ordered me up on the 9C and I had AcKc9s, then I would lead high with the Ac. If he had ordered me up on the 9c and I had AcQc9c, then I lead the Qc letting my partner know I have at least one more.

If he ordered my up on the Qc and I have AcQc9c like in the actual hand, my default is to send the 9c as this lead serves the dual purpose of letting my partner know I have at least 1 more trump, plus this lead never unintentionally promotes an enemy Kc. I'm not positive I'm right here. Just telling you my approach to this spot.

irishwolf
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Post by irishwolf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:08 pm

Don't try to over think the cards and your partner.

The reason is very simple. If the AC is led and happens to win the trick, he now has the 9S as his next lead, a loser. If his partner has a low Spade they have little hope for a sweep. You give that lead back and he has AH, the dealer can get rid of that 9S.
If it were an ace to lead, it would be different. But it's not the the situation with this hand.
In addition, there are various hands that his partner could have had. For example, he assists with JC & KC, you lead the AC he is forced to use the JC. You have weakened your hand.
Give the lead back to your partner!

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Wes (aka the legend) wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:54 pm
If IW ordered me up on the 9C and I had AcKc9s, then I would lead high with the Ac. If he had ordered me up on the 9c and I had AcQc9c, then I lead the Qc letting my partner know I have at least one more.

If he ordered my up on the Qc and I have AcQc9c like in the actual hand, my default is to send the 9c as this lead serves the dual purpose of letting my partner know I have at least 1 more trump, plus this lead never unintentionally promotes an enemy Kc. I'm not positive I'm right here. Just telling you my approach to this spot.
Just realized that becuz I have 3 trump, and S2 ordered, it's literally impossible to promote an enemy Kc with an Ac lead. Altho in this hand an Ac lead would've effectively promoted it on that critical 3rd trick lead. Not sure how often that will occur to even worry about that. Nevertheless, I still prefer leading low here.
Last edited by Wes (aka the legend) on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes (aka the legend)
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:46 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:08 pm
Don't try to over think the cards and your partner.

The reason is very simple. If the AC is led and happens to win the trick, he now has the 9S as his next lead, a loser. If his partner has a low Spade they have little hope for a sweep. You give that lead back and he has AH, the dealer can get rid of that 9S.
If it were an ace to lead, it would be different. But it's not the the situation with this hand.
In addition, there are various hands that his partner could have had. For example, he assists with JC & KC, you lead the AC he is forced to use the JC. You have weakened your hand.
Give the lead back to your partner!
Good stuff IW.

Also wondering on your 3rd trick lead you led the 9d instead of the other bower, even tho the action suggested S3 had a good chance of having another trump left. I notice most people would clean S3 out in this spot by leading trump again. Your play suggests it's worth gambling S3 is out of trump or will get overtrumped on the double diamond lead. You believe this line will get 2 points more often correct?

irishwolf
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Post by irishwolf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:19 pm

My angle is going for two points and this is the best way to to achieve a sweep, IMO. I don't like excessive leads of trump with no off suit aces, and S3 (S1 is the one out of trump) is the one we now have in a squeeze. We have a point and the only diamond left is the 10D. I am betting the dealer does not have it.
I ordered so often it's a gamble that the dealer AD was the only one he had. I am going for the sweep!

Post Reply