GETTING EUCHRED WITH FOUR TRUMPS

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

GETTING EUCHRED WITH FOUR TRUMPS

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:25 am

This hand takes the cake.

Score is 9 to 8 in favor of eldest's side. The QD is the upcard and Eldest orders, diamonds is trump. The following is how this played out for a EUCHRE.

S1 9D KD AD JH TS
S2 TH TC JS AC AS
S3 QS 9C KH AH QC
D4 TD JD QH QD 9H

How would you have played the hand at 1st seat?

There are multiple mistakes by Eldest, but also the dealer (D4) that resulted in this euchre and loss of the game. See if you can identify them. How should Eldest started out the hand to avoid a euchre? And how would you as the dealer played the hand for the best opportunity to get a euchre?

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:41 am

I play power when I have power. Overwhelming force overcomes finesse when you have enough power. Four Trumps including LAK is overwhelming power.

Lead Left, if S4 takes it with the Right, simply take the trick and lead the A.

If S4 ducks and plays Td, lead the A.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:05 am

You lead the left to the first trick, I would play the QD not the Right.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:05 pm

Richard,
Back up a minute to the trick and how it was played. Suppose you did a misclick and did play the 9D to trick 1. Dealer did play accordingly the 10D and JD. Now he plays to trick 3, what can you do to get out of this predicament and why?

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:45 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:05 am
You lead the left to the first trick, I would play the QD not the Right.
Qh meets my description of ducking. I would play the Ad.

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:09 pm

irishwolf wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:05 pm
Richard,
Back up a minute to the trick and how it was played. Suppose you did a misclick and did play the 9D to trick 1. Dealer did play accordingly the 10D and JD. Now he plays to trick 3, what can you do to get out of this predicament and why?
So D4 leads the Qh. I will take 2 tricks no matter how the cards are played. But my 3rd card, Ts is a loser. I don’t have enough power now. I must think finesse. I know that S2 doesn’t hold any trump. So if Partner has the boss, it cannot be trumped. Knowing that Partner can’t be trumped, his chances are better now than having to guess which cards to toss. Play my loser Ts now, Partner has 3 times as many cards on trick 3 to have the boss, than he will on trick 5.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:48 pm

There are two critical hints played to trick 1. Pone signals he only has the QS of that suit, and 2nd seat tosses the TH indicating that might be his only heart and plays a low club to trick 2. Not only that, in discarding the dealer just might have another heart or a small singleton of another suit. So since you TS is a loser, eldest has no choice but slough his TS to trick 3 instead of trumping it. And it brings up the question as to how to sort your hand so that it communicates something. Now Pone could have played the AH to trick 2 as the dealer already played the JD, but that also conveys information on what NOT to lead by the dealer to trick 3. One has to pay attention to what and why certain cards are played.

And to playing the QD to your JH lead, eldest just might do something dumb like leading the TS to trick 2. You would be surprised at how many players get foooled, lol.

~Irishwolf

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Forgive me if I'm missing something crucial, but this seems like an incredibly straightforward example, a very amateur lead by seat 1 causes him to be euchred. He has the 3 highest trump outside of the right, and yet he leads a 9d, a card that's not even higher than the one he ordered to the dealer. I don't agree with the dealer leading back the right after taking the trick with the 10d either. For one, he should have used the Qd and not shown he has more trump, and two, he has no reason to lead the right and then play a heart, play the low heart and see if you can make your Qh good, but more importantly all you have to do is wait for either your partner to pick up a trick or for the dealer to lead any black card, and then they can trump and play the right on it for an easy euchre.

If seat 1 leads properly it's pretty much impossible for him to be euchred so long as he plays his cards intelligently.

jspectre

Unread post by jspectre » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Sorry, I didn't answer the second part of the question. S1 should lead the left and S4 should simply play the Qd and keep opportunities on the table. S1 should then lead the Ad back because he still holds a small trump and the Kd. S4 has no choice here but to take the trick with the right, and then I believe leading a heart is a better choice then trying to lead the 10d and hope the maker only has the 9d left. Either way, the dealer would find out that he has met his match against a 4 trump call.