Weekly games starting Monday Dec 16, 9 pm

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

Re: Weekly games starting Monday Dec 16, 9 pm

Unread post by irishwolf » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 am

At other sites when a game is finished, those who want to play another game, remain seated. You just click on start and the game starts. If a player leaves, a bot can be used to replace. If a bot is there, it can be replaced by a player. Pretty simple how programmed.

So it's not optimized to seat you with the same player repeatedly.
x

marya

Unread post by marya » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:17 am

The only problem with the way that you've described things is that people who just finished a game get priority seating. They just played a game and they don't have to wait for another one to start. But someone who came to the site immediately after their first game started will have to wait, possibly a long time.

Imagine that 4 people sit down at a table, and they play their game. Then when the game ends, they sit there and start a new game.

Meantime, 1 more player has come to the site. They sit and wait. And wait. After 20 minutes, no one sits down to play with them, and they leave.

World of Card Games is indeed not optimized to have you play with the same person repeatedly. So it does take a little effort if you want to do this, although it is possible to do.

The site is optimized so that people don't have to wait to play a game. That is most fair for everyone, I think.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:59 am

I was not aware there was "time out" feature on your website? I was the dealer, went to answer the door, and it timed out when I would have made trump, Left + 2 and a doubleton off suit. It timed out and eldest went alone. Nuts! No where have we discussed this time out feature! NOT GOOD!

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:10 am

I have had the same problem with the 'time out' hoping it can be extended

marya

Unread post by marya » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Sorry for the problem! Yes, the site does apply timeouts, for good reason. At public tables, people might (and do) stall, which is super annoying. At private tables, people usually don't stall to be obnoxious. However, they do sometimes get disconnected from the site due to WiFi issues, the weather, computer crashes and what-not. There is no way for a webserver to know that you are "there" or "not there". Generally all it can do is wait for you to play. If you got disconnected, and there was no timeout, then your game would end in abandonment, as people dropped out waiting for you to do something - also, super annoying.

Your problem was also super annoying, and I'm sorry about that. However, the problem you describe has been addressed and it's easy to avoid once you know how. (1) If you need to attend to something that will take a while, just ask for a Pause. (2) The other thing that everyone should do is check the "Private Table Timer 5 Min" setting.

I've created a separate post about timeouts with some links and images that describe how to deal with them (click that link for the details).

Both of the solutions I mentioned above are described in detail in that thread. They are quite simple once you see how to use them. I hope it helps, and I'm sorry that this happened to you! It just didn't occur to me to mention these things because I'm too used to the way the site works by now.

Marya