Weed Layers (Sandbaggers)

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Scorpian

Weed Layers (Sandbaggers)

Unread post by Scorpian » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:42 am

(Card_J-D) (Card_A-D) (Card_A-C) (Card_A-H) (Card_Q-S)

This is the hand of the person to my left (west), and I am sitting in the south. The (Card_Q-D) is the up card. West passes, respectively with north and east. I pick it up, granted, a little light, with (Card_K-H) (Card_Q-H) (Card_10-H) (Card_Q-D) (Card_10-D), but I had a gut feeling, especially since my partner "went under," which I hate playing, but that is the only way to play online in this particular app.

Needless to say, I get destroyed by the person in the West. My question: was he laying in the weeds?

jblowery

Unread post by jblowery » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:35 am

He was in a great spot. If you turn it down he can call next or just pass and he's got great defense with all those aces.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:24 am

That is not sandbagging at all. Just smart playing.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:25 am

A little light -QD 10D? LOL

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Scorpian wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:42 am
(Card_J-D) (Card_A-D) (Card_A-C) (Card_A-H) (Card_Q-S)

This is the hand of the person to my left (west), and I am sitting in the south. The (Card_Q-D) is the up card. West passes, respectively with north and east. I pick it up, granted, a little light, with (Card_K-H) (Card_Q-H) (Card_10-H) (Card_Q-D) (Card_10-D), but I had a gut feeling, especially since my partner "went under," which I hate playing, but that is the only way to play online in this particular app.

Needless to say, I get destroyed by the person in the West. My question: was he laying in the weeds?
I also order this up. If my partner in Seat 2 goes under and I block nothing, this is an excellent spot to order up light gambling on my partner's under, I.E. hoping that he undered into more diamonds/off aces.

IMO, Seat 1 made a very good pass. Yes he has a nice 1st rd hand, but ordering up the enemy with just 2 trump is still dicey and why should he take that risk when he has an excellent chance to set you if you pick up and a fine plan B if you pass (call next). It is very possible he picks up 3 tricks in next himself.

PS: Skunk is that you??

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 pm

EXCELLENT HAND TO BAG ON NEXT!

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:01 pm

I pass all the time when holding hands like that guy in first seat had. As others have pointed out, you've got a good chance to euchre the dealer if he picks up with right-ace and the two side aces or you have a good hand in next to call if he passes. You've also got first call in round 2 so you know that nobody is going to make a call that you are unhappy with and you know that they aren't going to score a loner sweep with you holding the right.

P.S. I had an opponent start screaming at me the other day when passing while holding a similar hand to the one you showed. That wasn't you was it?

Scorpian

Unread post by Scorpian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Lol thanks for the responses, no that wasn't me Red Duke! :) I never scream at anybody! Only in my head!