NEXT - WHAT TO LEAD?

Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
irishwolf

NEXT - WHAT TO LEAD?

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat May 05, 2018 3:31 am

Suppose you are in 1st seat, the dealer turns down the QS. You hold the 9C 10C, AS, AH,QH. You make next, clubs trump.
What should you lead to the first trick?

What do you think your odds of being euchred might be?

Irishwold

DreamboatPat

Unread post by DreamboatPat » Sat May 05, 2018 7:09 am

I would lead the 9 clubs and hope my partner would be able to take it. I would save the aces until the end.
I haven't been playing long enough to understand what are the odds on whether you will be euchred.

Catch10110

Unread post by Catch10110 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:56 pm

Definitely lead low trump. You're hoping to hit your partners hand, plus you are clearing out opponents trump to make your aces good.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Whenever you call next and you have an offsuit ace in your hand it is critical you lead trump. This action makes it more likely your ace will be good later and your trump lead has a decent change to hit your partner given the fact that your opponents are more likely to be rich in the red suits.

Another small benefit worth noting is when the opposing team passes in the first round they are slightly less likely to have offsuit aces, since having offsuit aces correlates with more calls. This means there's a slightly higher chance that your partner also has at least one off suit ace in his hand. By you leading trump you are also protecting your P's ace(s) those times he has one.

In the actual hand with you possessing two offsuit aces you hope to cash later, a trump lead is a must.