14%
King of Diamonds
57%

Total votes: 7

Dlan
Site Admin

Poll - 1st goes alone- holding 2aces plus k-X

Unread post by Dlan » Fri May 04, 2018 8:09 pm

I played an interesting hand last week. I dealt, turned up the Ace Spades. 1st orders and calls alone.
After pickup I'm holding
A-H A-C K-D 10-D A-S.
1st leads the right, partner and I both follow.
The next lead is the A-D, partner throws off a 10-H. I play my 10-D.
1st next leads is the K-S, partner throws off a 10-C.

So I'm left with A-H A-C K-D I'm in a spot, do I

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat May 05, 2018 3:22 am

Wow, almost the worst situation except you have nothing hand.

I like to have a defending convention with my partner that he/she plays the suit he is not going to save. Since he played TH to trick 2, I have to think he will not be fooling me. On trick 3 he played TC, so he has 2 cards - are they two clubs (no diamonds)?? Eldest, since he played AD to trick 2, could have one more spade and a diamond or club/heart as the 5th card. If he had four spades, he should have led a spade to trick 2, but he didn't. And he holds the KS so he knows the only thing the dealer could have is the JC or no more spades. Here it helps to know if eldest is a risky player, if so he could have anything on trick 5.

Toss the AC to trick 3 and save KD/AH - wait to see his play for trick 4. However, it's a toss up for the 5th trick.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Throw the aces away and hold the Kd for the last trick. Most loners are two suited. When the maker shows the Ad he is highly likely to have another diamond in his hand.