Ask questions, discuss and debate your strategies, euchre polls and more
Dlan
Site Admin

Here's an interesting situation where East had the "euchre hand" but

Unread post by Dlan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:25 pm

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:01 pm

1st observation, NS made 2 points, not 1, by euchring EW, because:
2nd observation, West ordered a negative EV hand.
3rd observation, passing R1S2 is the best decision, because:
**The hand is breakeven offensively, EV=0, BPSystem=2.5 so look to:
**Defense
****Next is blocked at minimum and possibly euchred
****Reverse Next is euchre hand quality
******BPStrategy - reduce the hand value -.75
******BPStrategy - 2 black Jacks, euchre possibility, reduce the hand value by -.75
******BPStrategy - hand value is only 1.00, definite pass, take a chance on earning a 2 point euchre. Taking a chance applies to defense, not just offense.
4th observation, how weak is R2S4 order?
******BPSystem - BPS=2.25, EV=.59*1-.41*2=-.23, pass
******Even if you very optimistically assume 10% 2 point possibility:
********EV=.49*1+.1*2-.41*2=-.03, pass
Notes:
1. BPSystem is a more descriptive name for BPS Basic, which estimates the ordering power of the hand, based on OE Lessons
2. BPStrategy is a more descriptive name for BPS Advanced, which adjusts the hand value to encompass defensive potential of the hand, based on OE Forum posts
3. Using BPSystem, I would have ordered, since offense was the limit of my knowledge when I started playing euchre, December 2017, 3+ years ago.
4. Using BPStrategy, I now pass this hand based on the defensive strength of this hand and the score being neutral to my decision. IMO, passing R1S2 is defensible at worse and actually +EV. Note, if R2S4 passes, the result is 0, the same EV of ordering R1S2.
5. BPStrategy allows me to make these decisions at the table, without running test hands and then applying, from memory, those tested hands. My life style allows me to play only 2-3000 games per year, not the 10,000+ hands of the Uber-experienced players, as well as the necessary research. I greatly enjoy reading the discussion of the Uber-players. BPStrategy is my simplified application of the knowledge, that I can comprehend and apply, shared on the forum. Thank you posters for sharing that information.

irishwolf

Unread post by irishwolf » Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 pm

I think it is called S H I T HAPPENS.

Wes (aka the legend)

Unread post by Wes (aka the legend) » Wed May 05, 2021 3:03 am

irishwolf wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 pm
I think it is called S H I T HAPPENS.
Agreed. S2's pass is boring/standard. Correct strategy doesn't preclude bad things from happening. There's only one player in this hand who played incorrectly. S1 should be calling Next with 2 trump + doubleton green Ace + 1 void. That's too big of a hand to pass when one doesn't block reverse Next. Now I know I make a lot of debatable garbage Next calls, but THAT hand should not be up for debate imo.