As the partner, you should try and help, not "outthink"

A euchre forum, which focuses mainly on the advanced strategies and statistics used by experienced players, can be a little overwhelming to a new player.
We are here to help.
Dlan
Site Admin

As the partner, you should try and help, not "outthink"

Unread post by Dlan » Mon May 23, 2022 12:20 pm

Everyone passed first round. First seat calls next on second round.

I see this all the time. One player names trump and their partner sabotages their efforts. Yes, the team made a point but lost the game at 9 to 9.

Would you have played the same way? Well, take a look at what would have happened if East (the maker's partner) had correctly shown the maker where the left was. And then played the Ace of diamonds.

A two-point hand and at the end a win.

justme

Unread post by justme » Mon May 23, 2022 2:58 pm

At any score, when I make next (for my partner) from 1st seat, I always lead it. In this case, my right bower lead would have won the first trick, my ace spades takes the second, my Tc lead is trumped by my partner for our 3rd trick, his Ad 4th trick lead wins our 4th trick, and my Qh wins the last trick. Score 2 pts.
In the shown situation leading the Tc and proper partner play, 2 points should be gained too. But, drawing 2 opponents trump out the 1st trick with the right bower is usually more beneficial than offering a lead of a "weak" card. (Tc) Leading weak pits your partners play up against both opponents holding full hands of defense. Fewer trump in your opponents hands after that first trick bower lead also improves your aces value.

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Thu May 26, 2022 9:14 am

When holding only R-X there will be times when leading that right works, there are also many more when leading the right gets you in trouble. It may strip your partner of their only chance to help. It is also possible that this lead will set you up to be euchred by a strong holding of trump by an opponent.

I have had a lot of success by leading junk in a situation such as this.