Bidding Point System R2S1 Round 2 Eldest Next, Loners, Defense

A euchre forum, which focuses mainly on the advanced strategies and statistics used by experienced players, can be a little overwhelming to a new player.
We are here to help.
Richardb02

Bidding Point System R2S1 Round 2 Eldest Next, Loners, Defense

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 am

This is the 6th of a series of Euchre Strategy
R2S1 is shorthand for Round 2, Seat 1
Seat 1 is aka Eldest*

It is now the 2nd round. The R1 hands were too weak to order. S4 (Dealer) no longer picks up. R2S2 is the most consequential seat in R2, IMO. You get to lead. So if you have trump power or ace power, in your hand, you control the flow of the card play. That gives you the opportunity to order a Loner. Loners are exciting!! You get to benefit from the power of ordering Next in R2. In fact, you may have passed R1S1 with Next being your intended order!

Next is a very important concept from R2S1. Next means ordering the remaining suit in the color of the suit that has been turned down. In my examples, spades has been turned down. So ordering clubs is ordering Next. It is an example of playing per Hoyle. See OE lessons if you do not understand Next as well as other concepts.

There are also a very important defensive strengths from S1 and especially R2S1. Defensive power reflects the ability to block 4 point Loners, thus called blocking. S1 is especially concerned about blocking the 2 reverse next suits. A maximized defensive hand is one that not only blocks but gives you roughly 2 tricks in every suit! This is a euchre hand. If you have a euchre hand, passing allows you to play for a 2 point euchre. Blocking and euchre hands will be covered in detail later in this series. For now, if you have a defensive hand and your call is marginal, consider passing.

I will always assume that most Beginner and Casual players bid too passively and miss many opportunities to order. That costs them from winning more often! The reason? They play to avoid being euchred, instead of playing winning Euchre. They fail to grasp that getting euchred 1 out of 3 hands, on edge hands, is winning Euchre!

I see too many B&C players pass on orderable hands, from R2S1! Let’s use BPS analysis:

Down (Card_Q-S)
S1 (Card_J-C) (Card_K-C) (Card_10-D) (Card_10-S) (Card_10-H)
0.75 value of R2S1
0.50 R2S1 Next
1.00 value of Jc
0.50 value of Kc
0.25 value of R+1
3.00 points, exceeding the 2.50 point minimum to order by 0.50 point or 2 factors
So I definitely order this hand. Do you?

Let’s look at an edge hand:
Down (Card_Q-S)
S1 (Card_K-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_K-S) (Card_K-D) (Card_Q-D)

0.75 value of R2S1
0.50 R2S1 Next
0.50 value of Kc
0.50 value of Qc
0.25 value of 1 void
2.50 points, meeting the 2.50 point minimum to order
So I order, knowing that I will be euchred 1 out of 3 hands!***

Let’s look at R2S1 Loner hands:

Down (Card_Q-S)
S1 (Card_J-C) (Card_K-C) (Card_10-C) (Card_A-D) (Card_K-S)
0.75 value of R2S1
0.50 R2S1 Next
1.00 value of Jc
0.50 value of Kc
0.25 value of Tc
0.50 value of 3 trump with R or L (either Bower)
0.75 Ad
0.25 value of 1 void
4.50 points, exceeding the 3.75 point minimum to order a Loner. So I consider going alone. Do you?
Next I count the 1 card Stoppers and the 2 card Parlays that can stop me from taking 5 tricks and 4 points. As is the only Stopper, worth 1.00. Lx, Ax are 2 trump parlays. Opponents trumping in diamonds is a parlay. 3 parlays x 0.25= 0.75. So 1.75 Stopper-Equivalents vs 2.75 maximum to order a Loner. So I confidently order a Loner, do you? In fact, I estimate a 30% probability of taking 4 points!

Let’s look at an “Edge Loner”:

Down (Card_Q-S)
S1 (Card_J-S) (Card_A-C) (Card_9-C) (Card_K-D) (Card_A-S)
0.75 value of R2S1
0.50 R2S1 Next
0.75 value of Js
0.50 value of Ac
0.25 value of 9c
0.50 value of 3 trump with R or L (either Bower)
0.50 As
0.25 value of 1 void
4.00 points, exceeding the 3.75 point minimum to order a Loner. So I consider going alone. Do you?
Next I count the 1 card Stoppers and the 2 card Parlays that can stop me from taking 5 tricks and 4 points. R and Ad are Stoppers, worth 1.00 or 2.00 total. Kx, Qx are 2 trump parlays. Opponents trumping in spades is a parlay. So 2.75 Stopper-Equivalents vs 2.75 maximum to order a Loner. So I order a Loner, do you? FYI, this is an edge hand in playing for 2 points vs playing for 4 points. They are close to break even.

* Minimums is my term for hands that are close to the “Edge”
Edge is the minimum hand, IMO, that should be ordered
Assumptions: Approximately equal players, Score is NOT being considered
Format: I will use BPS-Basic to explain my thought process. BPS (Bidding Point System) is best thought of as an organized analysis of easily observable factors that all players should consider, for ordering(Bidding). Point means that we assign values from 0.00 to 1.00, incremented by 0.25 (1/4) point, for each observable factor. 1.00 is the value assigned to a Right, it is the only single card guaranteed to take 1 trick. Therefore, it takes 1.25 points, in general, to count on taking 1 trick (with a 95% certainty), after all Euchre is a game of chance.
Basic Euchre ordering strategy includes the concept that you should order if you have 2 near-certain tricks in your hand. You then count on Partner to take the 3rd trick and earn your point! So, if you have 2.50 points in your hand, you should order (in general, remember this section of the forum is for Beginners and Casual players).
Goal: to improve Beginner & Casual Players to a level of Casual Plus. You are reading this information to enjoy Euchre more thoroughly by winning more often, aren’t you?
Suggestions: Beginners, please read the OE (Ohio Euchre) Lessons, for a basic understanding of Euchre strategies. Next, read the BPS-Basic section in this Beginners and Casual section, to understand the BPS approach. Advanced players, please post your more nuanced questions in the General Euchre section.