Passing as dealer

A euchre forum, which focuses mainly on the advanced strategies and statistics used by experienced players, can be a little overwhelming to a new player.
We are here to help.
knglenny

Passing as dealer

Unread post by knglenny » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:32 pm

So as I was playing today I had an aha moment. For some reason my competition was better than usual.

Anyway, I stopped making calls from the dealer position that bps says I should try, even borderline, but I had been getting set it seemed too much. Basically a 2.0 or maybe a 2.25 hand, no bowers, 3 suited 2 trump and a green ace or 2 trump no bowers and 2 suited, hands like that.

Well today I was passing those and 3 times today the 1st seat next calls a loner and hits.

Now I get it, it's better to take a long shot if you can't stop the loner. Just another wrinkle in calculating those calls. I needed to get stomped to see it!

Thanks for all the tips, love this site!

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 pm

knglenny wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:32 pm
So as I was playing today I had an aha moment. For some reason my competition was better than usual.

Anyway, I stopped making calls from the dealer position that bps says I should try, even borderline, but I had been getting set it seemed too much. Basically a 2.0 or maybe a 2.25 hand, no bowers, 3 suited 2 trump and a green ace or 2 trump no bowers and 2 suited, hands like that.

Well today I was passing those and 3 times today the 1st seat next calls a loner and hits.

Now I get it, it's better to take a long shot if you can't stop the loner. Just another wrinkle in calculating those calls. I needed to get stomped to see it!

Thanks for all the tips, love this site!
YES!! You got it! And you gave me an aha moment!

Wes, myself and others have used football metaphors to describe Euchre scenarios. It is actually more like baseball!! Do you want the great defensive catcher, who can’t hit, or vice versa? Do you want the speedy outfielder, who can steal a base, or the slow footed slugger? Do you want the fast ball pitcher, or the change-up artist? In Euchre, you can’t have both! That mimics baseball, more than football!

You reflect that metaphor in your post. You ignored the defensive value of ordering, (stopping the opponent’s loner). You Ordered passively (passed), on a borderline order, and paid the price. However, you did learn the lesson. That is a real victory! So keep in mind, you have to ultimately evaluate your players (cards), based on the combination of offense and defense. And keep in mind Don’s, more general, admonition, order more often! You won’t win as often by passing!!

knglenny

Unread post by knglenny » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:45 pm

I wanted to follow up as I just played a hand on 3d euchre. Got lots of crap from everyone so they clearly didn't get it even after it played out.

Score is 1-1 and I'm dealing. Maybe too early to play defense but I order up the (Card_K-D) to have a hand of

(Card_A-D) (Card_K-D) (Card_K-C) (Card_Q-C) (Card_J-C)

*BPS is 2.25 if I'm doing that correctly. These are hands I would normally pass in the past.

Anyway, 1st seat plays the following leads to take all 5 tricks

(Card_J-D) (Card_J-H) (Card_A-C) (Card_A-S) (Card_10-S)

Voila, down 1-3 instead of 1-5. After about 75 "no ways," mostly from my partner, (but also my opponents) my partner rage quit, me and the bot went on to win 10-3. :lol:

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:44 pm

Excellent follow up. Your mind was clear, you and the “inferior” bot, won the game. That is the spirit! The goal is to win the game, not to win every hand! In fact, if you are not getting euchred at least 20% of the time, you need to loosen your ordering!

(Getting euchred 33% of the time is the break point for analysis of a single hand. Getting euchred 20 -28% of the time, compensates for the “give me” hands. (Hands with a high probability of success).

I have learned to respond, to critics, with a single word, “defense”! If they persist, I respond, “defense”. If they respectfully ask for details I respond, go to ohioeuchre.com