Lead Question

A euchre forum, which focuses mainly on the advanced strategies and statistics used by experienced players, can be a little overwhelming to a new player.
We are here to help.
knglenny

Lead Question

Unread post by knglenny » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:37 pm

Here is the scenario, assume players are equal and score is 5-5.

(Card_A-S) is turned up and I am in S1 holding

(Card_J-C) (Card_J-S) (Card_K-D) (Card_Q-H) (Card_10-C)

I pass hoping for the next call. Dealer orders up.

Do I lead both bowers and hope my partner can take something? Or do I throw off?

More I think about it, the more I think I should suck trump, but I don't trust my though process :lol:

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:46 pm

knglenny wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:37 pm

Do I lead both bowers and hope my partner can take something? Or do I throw off?

More I think about it, the more I think I should suck trump, but I don't trust my though process :lol:
I use a strength/ lack of strength approach. In this scenario, I own 2 tricks, but have a tiny chance at a 3rd trick. (Not enough power to muscle through by leading both bowers, which was my prior approach). I am in the classic position of needing Partner to take a trick. So I want to maximize my chances of having partner take a trick. I want to find Partner’s green ace. I will lead the Kd because there is a 25% probability that the K is the boss diamond.

knglenny

Unread post by knglenny » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:13 pm

Great! Thank you!

RedDuke

Unread post by RedDuke » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:34 pm

Richardb02 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:46 pm
knglenny wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:37 pm

I use a strength/ lack of strength approach. In this scenario, I own 2 tricks, but have a tiny chance at a 3rd trick. (Not enough power to muscle through by leading both bowers, which was my prior approach). I am in the classic position of needing Partner to take a trick. So I want to maximize my chances of having partner take a trick. I want to find Partner’s green ace. I will lead the Kd because there is a 25% probability that the K is the boss diamond.
Agreed.

You made the correct decision in passing from first seat here. From your perspective, you're in a great position to euchre the dealer but this hand is not strong enough to justify ordering the dealer up. It would be if you were in second seat but in first, you get to decide what happens if dealer passes. You do not want to pass second round here. Definitely order clubs if dealer passes.

Don't lead both bowers. If dealer actually orders this up without having either bower, he's definitely got something reasonably strong. He probably has three trumps and maybe even an off ace and if you lead both bowers then you're just opening him up to sweep.

I'd lead the King of Diamonds. Leading the king of a suit is the classic signal to your partner to try and take the trick. Your partner already knows that the dealer has the ace of spades so he won't try to trump it. Either he'll play his ace against your king and hope that the dealer isn't void in diamonds (he might not be since you only have one) or he'll throw off something and let the dealer take it. Either of these scenarios should be acceptable to you. If the dealer does take it, then you're going to want to avoid trumping the dealer's lead if possible. You want to make sure that your partner takes one trick so if he has last play then try to let him.