FREQUENT EUCHRE ERROR LIST

Your thoughts about OhioEuchre. How can we improve? Let us know
irishwolf

FREQUENT EUCHRE ERROR LIST

Unread post by irishwolf » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 am

Ohio Euchre has some really good stuff about euchre. So just some thoughts for what its worth. However, in the list of frequent errors, seven of these are too simplistic without some explanation. I see no information guiding me to where to find explanations for these.

In addition, I can easily see many exceptions to these stated errors. For example the last one on a double lead of trump, my partner in 3rd seat orders the dealer. 1st seat has Left + low trump, leading the Left followed by the double lead of the low trump is a Must! I would call these, RULES OF THUMB, with an explanation defining this term as 'generally true with exceptions' (not absolute) that come with experience depending on the situation.

And for all those listed, should be a tab that explains each without having to read all of the material on Ohio Euchre. Opinion, these invite my interest to avoid making these mistakes. These are critical and fundamental to new players wanting easily cross referenced detailed information with the exceptions. Even if redundant it should noted in one place easily found because there is quite a bit of information to sort through.

* Leading trump on defense
* Leading trump on fourth trick
* Leading right bower after calling "next"
* Trumping partner's ace
* Not leading trump to partner's call
* Not leading trump on own call
* Double leading trump back to your partner

~Irishwolf

WolfHills

Unread post by WolfHills » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:40 am

As someone that loves this site, I agree with Irish. As I have been trying to become a better player, I would have loved to seen more of an explanation immediately. Granted over time I have always found the information eventually.

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks irishwolf for your suggestion. Actually, I’ve been going through the site looking for areas that needed updating. That page just jumped to the top of the list. It may take a few days, as the plans are to add a brief description, in a dropdown style, along with links to other information as needed.

While there are almost no absolutes in euchre, this list as with Harvey’s ten commandments, is aimed at new players. It is a starting point. On the new page I’ll try to add common exceptions.
In talking about this page, does anyone have thoughts on other additions/subtractions?

* Turning down a bower when having 1 other trump
* Leading trump on defense
* Leading trump on fourth trick
* Leading right bower after calling "next"
* Leading trump against a loner
* Leading right bower against a loner
* Passing with biddable hand
* Not calling green on partners pass
* Failing to call "next"
* Trumping partner's ace
* Not leading "next" through third seat lone call
* Not leading trump to partner's call
* Not leading trump on own call
* Not giving your partner a chance to help
* Double leading trump back to your partner
* Thinking Ace - King suited have the same value (to your partner)
* Forgetting that euchre is a partnership game

Tbolt65

Unread post by Tbolt65 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:25 pm

I honestly believe there should be building blocks. Understanding the basic play and ploys is important but as they expand more into reading the website they'll have a better foundation. Then as concepts become more complex, they will have a better grasp as to why certain situations are developing and proceeding.

Tbolt65
Edward

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Common Euchre Error listing revised ;)

I have also added a listing of Euchre terminology and common phrases.

https://ohioeuchre.com/euchre-terminolo ... hrases.php

Richardb02

Unread post by Richardb02 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:32 am

Dlan wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:31 pm
Common Euchre Error listing revised ;)

I have also added a listing of Euchre terminology and common phrases.

https://ohioeuchre.com/euchre-terminolo ... hrases.php
Great addition. I would have referenced your “Terminology” section every other visit to the forum when I started.

I would recommend separate entries for “Eldest” and “Pone.” When I wasn’t familiar with the term Pone, I would look in “Terminology” for Pone. I would not know to look for “Table Positions.”

Dlan
Site Admin

Unread post by Dlan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. i have up-dated the page